Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Checkitout ...cast iron grate

TheGrillisGone
TheGrillisGone Posts: 133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let me know what you think?
Just picked up this Steveen Raichlen "Tuscan Grill" at Marshalls for $19.99. It is a cast iron grate that is 14" x 14" with removable legs. Note: I had to round corners (5 mins on grinding wheel) to fit on large BGE. The legs on and set on the fire ring raises the grate surface maybe 1/4" above top of rim.
Would it be best to lower or use legs on when searing steaks? Kind of nice to have surface level with rim.[p]You can see at this site.

[ul][li]Tuscan Grill[/ul]

Comments

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    TheGrillisGone,[p]I like to sear my steaks as close to the fire as possible, sometimes, on the small, even taking the fire ring out and just using a diamond mesh on the fire box edges.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    TheGrillisGone,
    Personally I think you'd find you should remove the legs in order to get the grid closer to the fire in order to get the heat benefits that cast iron provides. While you could leave them on I just think you would be wasting lump.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    TheGrillisGone,[p]Me thinks you'd want to have it as close to the coals as possible for a good sear. Sometimes I even remove the fire ring to get close. That is ultimately why I bought a mini - as a steak-searing machine. I just ordered a set of cast iron grills from a Char-broil BBQ to cust a cast iron grill for my mini. [p]Ottawa_egger