Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need input from the SME'S

Charla
Charla Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
Where I work, when you need help you go to the SME'S...Subject Matter Experts...That's you all.
I just purchased two beautiful pork loin roasts with 6-8 ribs still attached, aprox 3.75 lbs apiece.
Was thinking about doing a brine overnight and doing a indirect @ 325 till internal temp is good...medium amount of smoke and some rub...
Any thoughts, additions, subtractions or any comments would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks,
Charla

Comments

• David B.
    David B. Posts: 24
    Charla,[p]If it were me, I'd go without the brine. A fresh herb rub, maybe some rosemary and garlic along with salt and pepper. Temp sounds good, I'd go with very little smoke. A loin is a more "delicate" flavor than a butt. If you can get 'em, a few grapevine cuttings. I'm still new with the egg myself, but that's my 2 cents.[p]David B.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Charla,
    What you have is a presentation piece. Have some company over for the presentation. [p]I would skip the brine as well. I would suggest a marinade of the whole roast in a Wet Jerk Rub for two days (one day if that is the time that you have). When you go to cook it, cut the roast into individual pork chops with one or two bones apiece depending on thickness. Then grill them at a high temperature until the meat is at 155. Do not overcook these gems. Finish the plate with some rice, black beans and some crisp veggies. The presentation is outstanding.[p]A couple of Friday’s ago, I had this meal sans beans at a local eatery and I was impressive. The Jerk flavor was not what I am used to, but they grilled the pork perfectly. I finished the pork chop by picking up the rib finished cleaning it. [p]You do have the option of removing the ribs from the loin and cooking each separately, but sine they are together enjoy. Regardless. Of how you cook it, do it like a roast at say 375 rather lan low and slow like ribs.[p]You are in for a treat.
    RhumAndJerk

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Charla, I cooked a boneless loin for Memorial Day. I would not brine myself. I marinated overnight in a Carribean Jerk Sauce. I took a knife and made small cuts threw the meat so the marinate could work itself in. Before putting on grill I added a couple TBS of olive oil in the marinade and let sit at room temp for 2 hours before cooking. I cooked mine at 275 indirect and it tende, juicy and wonderfull.[p]CWM

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Charla, Im gonna throw this out to ya, largely because everyone else has suggested a jerk marinade; just to confuse you I'll go another direction. Most folks have heard of Montreal Steak Spice. There is now a MSS marinade/paste. If you can find it, rub that on the loin roast and let marinade for at least 4 hours or so (if you can't find the marinade, just mix the actual MSS with some oil, splash of vinegar or just use an italian salad dressing to moisten the actual spice, same darn ingredients almost!). Get the Egg up to 425 or so, brush and oil the grill well. Put the roast on, let go for 2-3 minutes, do the half-turn to get nice diamond patterned sear going (the Nature Boy Shuffle I call it). Repeat on second side. Close vents down real low to get relatively quick drop in temp. When down into the 300 degree range, put roast in a V-rack or on a roasting rack over an old baking pan/drip pan. Before setting on the grill, add some smoking wood (I loved pecan with this! Use a fruitwood otherwise; apple or cherry are nice). Let it run along in that nice gentle smokey environment for an hour or so, until it registers 150 internal or somewhere in that neighbourhood. Let rest for 5-10 minutes and slice between the bones. This was one cook that surprised me; thought it would be a 'something different for a change' cook, but turned out be one of the best things I've ever had from the Egg! Just a little curve ball for you to consider among these other suggestions. Whatever you decide upon, good luck and enjoy!
    Qfan

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Charla, I'm going to disagree with the other opinions and agree with your brining, depending on time. I brined a pork loin for 24 hours before stuffing it with fig preserves and dried wild cherries and then rubbing it with a standard rub made into a paste with olive oil for another 24 hours. It was then cooked as you propose. It was outstanding (at least my guests said so!). I think the rib-in roast would eb great the way you propose since the bones add so much flavor. Obviously, a stuffing here is not called for. Good luck, Marvin

• Charla
    Charla Posts: 9
    Marvin,
    Thanks for the input..I bought two of those beauties, so I'll try both..I think whole will turn out just as nice. Have a great week-end..Charla

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Marvin,[p]Around here just about any lean cut of pork is brined. I prefer to up the heat a bit into the 375º range indirect and take off no higher than 145º. It will carry over to about 150º. If it is stuffed, you want to probably take it about 155º for the stuffing temperature just to be safe.[p]let us know how it turns out[p]Z