Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib cook time

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to do a slo indirect overnight cook. If I wanted to cook ribs for 7 hrs, would 200 degrees work? Or would that be too long of a cook time?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    HungryMan,[p] Too long.. [p]3 or slightly less hours in the smoke 250 dome indirect.[p]1 hour in foil with some juice, beer or cola.[p]1 hour back in the smoke.. (this may be far less)[p]Baby Back take less time, but well here too.[p]Nothing is stopping you from cooking them direct or without the foil, but the above method works for many a fine competitor.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    They done when they done and das all they is to it![p]All meats are different...and most take different times to cook...You can put two 8lb. Boston Butts together....and one will take 45 minutes longer than the other to reach the desired temperature....Why?...Different levels of fat, connective tissue, etc.....No two butts are created equally....even when they're equal![p]Same with ribs....You might get two similar sized slabs...and one takes five hours...the other seven hours....So it's hard to assign a time to a particular cut of meat and expect it to be right on the money....[p]Interested to find out how a 200 degree cook goes overnight with ribs....That seems too low-n-slow...And that temperature for an extended period just might be too hard to acheive on the BGE.....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    HungryMan,
    You won't be able to maintain a temp of 200 without checking on it. To many people have posted about a low and slow overnight at 225 to find their fire out in the morning. You are going to start at a low temp. My ribs take about 5-6 hours at 225-250. No foiling, although very popular.
    I have got my egg going by noon, and not made it home till 3-4 hours later, still cranking at a steady 250.[p]HTH[p]Mike

• HungryMan
    Options
    The reason I want to try this is because I want to try out my GURU. Normally I cook the full size for 3-2-1 at 225. That why I thought 200 at 7 hrs might work. I want to play with the toy!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    HungryMan,
    I still think 200 is to low for ribs, but give it a try. The first time I used my Stoker, I was up half the night anyway, for no good reason. LOL
    Let us know how they turn out. [p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    HungryMan,[p]Even though ribs (spares anyway) fit into the boots of traditional lo-n-slo barbecue, I agree with the others .... folks cook them at higher pit temps than 200°. But, if you are playing, why not get a smaller butt and/or cook 2 loads of fatties (at 4 hours each)? You could also toss on some store-bought smoked shanks, jowl or turkey drumsticks for a second smoke using those temps. They will freeze just fine and give you all kinds of good flavored fixins for other dishes. They won't take the full 8 hours, but as long as you have a good fire going ......[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 28
    Options
    You will want to play with the Guru some... I set my guru at 200 and the dome temp is at 225-230. The Guru probe is clipped to the dome thermometer, not at the grill, when I see this.

Have fun.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    HungryMan,
    my post is probably too late, but try 225. 225 will drag the total time of the cook out to about 7 hours (or more). i find spares at 250 take 6 hours at least, anyway.[p]once, i put them on (without thinking) at 11 o'clock at night at the same time as a couple butts, at 250. i meant to put only the butts on, and the ribs would go on in the morning. but they ended up going 8 hours or so overnight while i slept, and were the best i ever did.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    HungryMan,
    i would do it, lots of my cooks have dropped down to 200 degrees an even less at the dome and have come out fine. at the grate level thats even lower and thats where your probably going to monitor the temp anyways. i would try and find some meaty ribs untrimmed and stand them with the fatty side up so they baste themselves overnight, big fatty beef ribs would probably work too. its good to try new techniques once in a while, cooking them the same way everytime just gets boring. the thing with ribs is they are only good if YOU like them, every one chooses a method and will preach how thats the only way to cook ribs, but that doesnt mean you will like them. some like sticky sweet ribs, others dry, some want fall off the bone, some want some pull from the bone etc. lots of ways to cook ribs, unless your competing with them, its best to find what makes you happy. worst that could happen is that they get over cooked, they are under cooked and need more time, or they arent done the way you like them.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HungryMan
    Options
    As alwaya thanks for the responses. I put them up at 1030 pm. Set the new first cook with the GURU at 210. Woke up at 0430. They looked a little wet. I turned up the dial to 350. Got dressed and took em off at 0525. They looked good. Brought them to worked and the co-workers loved them. I forgot to take a pic. Next time I will turn up the temp. The GURU was the coolest thing. I will do a butt next with my new toy.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    HungryMan,
    "i will do a butt next with my new toy"[p]if i had a nickel for every time i've said that myself....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante