Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quicker Pulled Pork

Options
Eggin-smurff
Eggin-smurff Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done pulled pork several times now with great success. Each time we brine for 24 hours, coat with rub and rest in the fridge for 24hours, then cook overnight. Turns out to be a lengthy process but the end result has been excellent.[p]After seeing several posts about people covering them with mustard and coating with rub then immediately grilling, I was thinking about dropping the brine and overnight rub steps. After all, that would cut 2 days out of my particular process.[p]Any comments and consensus as to what the brine and overnight rub steps bring to the meat?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    brining helps with moisture retention. the egg really doesn't need any help in that regard, so you can certainly skip that. if you brine for flavor, you can inject instead.[p]you can hurry rub by letting it go 4, maybe 6 hours. but i'll tell you, if i started a butt right now, without waiting for the rub to sit overnight, i'd bet a case of beer no one could tell.[p]butts are ridiculously forgiving.[p]rub it and toss it on if that's all the time you have.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    stike,
    Butts are crazy, IMHO injecting helps. Butt (pun intended), a lot of people add rubs after the product is finished to give more flavor.[p]Mike

• Eggin-smurff
    Options
    Excellent! That certainly frees me up to do more spur of the moment pulled pork. Not so much planning and preparation needed.[p]Think Ill try the new method out this weekend. Saturday afternoon buy the butts and coat with mustard and DP rub, late Saturday night start the fun! God, I love this Egg!
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    That's the spirit!
    And if you really wanna go nuts sometime, just put them butts on NAKED!!!!!!!
    A little smoke wood and some sauce for the finished product.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I've brined...not brined.....and we have noticed no noticeable difference between the two when it comes to smoking Boston Butts on the BGE.....These days we rub 'em up with mustard....coat 'em in DP products....And away we go!....And the results have been pretty danged solid.....[p]I do think brining is an asset on learner pork cuts like pork loin...But for fattier cuts with more connective tissue...brining doesn't add much if anything to the equation.......[p]Mustard, Dust and Take it easy.....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    rub only sits on the ones i do while waiting for the egg to come up to temp. last one i did i injected with a sweatened up north carolina vinegar sauce during the plataue stage of the cook. i did the injection while the butt was cooking in the egg and it really kicked up the flavor and avoided all the mess of doing it earlier on the counter in the kitchen. brines are not needed with butts, if you want more flavor try injecting the butt.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it