Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TREX Steaks, sear with dome open??

Options
orion11
orion11 Posts: 140
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to Trex some ribeyes, thought I'd shoot for 700 degrees or so, sear, then back down to 400 for the "roast". My question is, once up to temp., does everyone sear for 90 mins on each side with the dome open, or closed?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    orion11,
    You dont sear anything for 90 minutes per side...LOL..I`m sure it was a typo...in general you want the dome closed..you will fry a gasket in no time cooking at 700° with the dome open..maybe even a handle or two...[p]Wess

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks for the heads up. That 90 minute thing was most assuredly a "senior moment", man I've had alot of those lately..........dont ever get old all.

• 30dayribeye-023.jpg
    <p />orion11, if you close the dome, you won't see this![p]trex himself, says to leave the dome open
  • guava greg
    guava greg Posts: 139
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight, dang dude! I want to eat every pic. Is there a bbq food pic you don't have?[p]Aloha,[p]Greg

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    orion11,
    i do them dome closed. open, you get flare ups, especially with ribeyes. although it looks cool, flame isn't what cooks the steak, and actually can burn fat, instead of just carmelizing it.[p]that's just one guy's opinion, and i know others go dome open. i don't see an advantage other than the show-factor.[p]...except perhaps that when it's open, the steak is only being cooked (seared) from below and there's no additional heat from the dome. if you wanted to break the cook into sear only, then finish roast, dome open would do that. i don't know if it makes it a more controllable cook.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rick's Tropical Delight,
    That is an awesome picture, had to post it on a forum
    here, "look what my friend in the states has taken"[p]such a great picture, makes poster material!
    is that a small egg you're cooking on?
    best regards
    thorsten
    ps as you once told me, for non commercial purposes
    its ok to post your pictures, just could'nt help but
    post this one :-) --it is non commercial!

[ul][li]ricks tropical delight on a danish forum[/ul]
  • thorsten denmark,
    cool! i'm worldwide![p]if anyone would like to use that image commercially, contact my email.

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    thorsten denmark,
    That's great! What does it say? I always crack up that stuff with at all kinds of foreign gibberish-to-me with "Rick Tropical Delight" in the middle.

• Herm,
    lol, it says check out my fried in the states
    grilling a cute little steak, haha