Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Skillet

Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's the biggest size or recommended size cast iron skilllet/griddle that will fit in a BGE Large i saw a couple that the price didn't look to bad at Wally's thanks
Beast

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    BEAST,
    I recently bought this 15" Lodge and cut the handle off. Fits the large Egg nicely. I used it direct sitting on a wok ring one time and indirect sitting on a cast iron griddle that was sitting on the wok ring one time. Works well. Academy Stores - Houston. About $27 if I remember correctly. Saw it in a couple of other places for over $30. There's also a look-a-like for about $15 but there's a serious quality difference.[p]ABT's cooking in this photo.[p]ABTsintheskillet4-15-07.jpg[p]Hope this helps.[p]Spring "Cast My Fat To The Wind" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Beast
    Spring Chicken,
    Did you use a HACK saw to cut off the handle?
    Beast

• Spring Chicken
    BEAST,
    I suppose I could have but I used my jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. I just took my time, used slow speed and let the blade do the work. Then I hit the cut part with my belt sander to knock off the edges. Took maybe ten minutes to do all of it.[p]Spring "Jigs Up" Chicken

• Beast
    Spring Chicken,
    Does your griddle have no handle as well or is it one you can purchase without one? also where can i get a wok ring? side note* can you tell me what king of griddle that works best in the BGE large as i want to pick up a few things today while i have some extra EGGcessory Funds lol thanks
    Beast

• Spring Chicken
    BEAST,
    I'm slowly accumulating a lot of accessories from all kinds of sources. Like many Eggheads, I see something I "think" I need and I get it. Then I find a use for it.[p]The wok ring came from tjv (formerly Sandbagger), along with instructions on where to buy the right size wok and how to use it. He made it from stainless steel. It works so well that I leave it in my Egg full time. Here's what it looks like:[p]WokRing1.jpg[p]Here it is with a wok on it:[p]Wokwithmeatandveggies.jpg[p]Here it is with the griddle on it:[p]CastIronGriddleonEgg.jpg[p]The griddle is reversible with ridges on the back side. I haven't seen any more of this model anywhere but I'm sure they're around.[p]Here's the griddle being used to cook breakfast at the Texas Eggfest University class we conducted:[p]BaconEggSausageonGriddle.jpg[p]This is the ring that comes with Chubby's GrateMates for the Small Egg. It's perfect for a variety of uses including 5 qt dutch oven, BGE 8" ceramic dish, a smaller griddle, etc.[p]GrateMateRing.jpg[p]Hope this helps.[p]Spring "Looking Curiously At The Other Side Of The Road" Chicken[p]

• Spring Chicken,
    Looks like that pan could use some serious seasoning. My egg does a great job seasoning. I cranked it up to 350-400 and threw some crisco on the pan and let it go for a half hour. Then repeat for a second layer

• Spring Chicken
    Pdub,
    The label said it was pre-seasoned, but I took that to mean "lightly" pre-seasoned. So I fired up the Egg to 400° and wiped the skillet down again with some grease, then let it ride in the Egg for almost an hour. Then the idea hit me to take advantage of the hot Egg, hot skillet and burning hunger for some ABT's. I didn't think a little more grease at this point would hurt anything but "me."[p]Spring "Kill'n Two Stones With One Bird" Chicken

• Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Think I emailed you or someone else here on this subject a week or two ago, but I bought a 12" cast iron skillet with a removable handle from Meijers. The guy who posted about this skillet got his at Target. I use the handle as a grid lifter. There were more details in that thread, but I've searched the archives and can't locate it.