Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who has best indirect method for babybacks?

Options
flajoker
flajoker Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Please post site info or cooking info for indirect babybacks.
Thanks,Jack

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    flajoker, For indirect they are simple to do. Dealers choice almost. I use two firebricks on edge and depending on the size of your BGE 1, 2 or 3 firebricks (or pizza stone) for a barrier (drip pan works too with water) and a second grill to suspend your baby backs on laying flat or you can use a rib rack to hold vertical. Smoke and cook at 225 to 250F. Till ribs begin to show rib bone shrink. Then you can apply your sauces.
    I use a pyrex type large backing dish 9 x 15" to pour my sauce in, pull the ribs, dunk one side and spoon over the other and replace em on the grill or rack. Takes about another hour to hour and a half. The ribs should break apart easily in the center. Its o.k. to sample :-)
    Takes longer indirect and your looking at a 4.5 to a 5 hour cook.
    Or go by the numbers and use GFW's foil method. (kiddin ya Gordon, either way they are top doggy)
    C~W[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody, you flubbed again...dang it.. He asked "Who has best indirect method for babybacks?" and your suggesting that you do...Phoooeeeey..There are dozens of "best" methods"...JJ has a good one, Jslot has a good one, modified a bit now, Cat has a excellent one, others have super duper good ones, TimM almost has it down pat, GFW is a foil fanatic and does a remarkable job, JimW has a grip on it...gosh...I am still learning..!!
    For those that don't know or realize..C~W is Char-Woodys Shadow..protector, and imitator.
    C~W

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Did them last week. I cook/smoked them indirect for 4 hours, then I finish them (30 or so minutes) directly in the grill with a sauce. EeeeeeZeeeeee![p]Smokey
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_04_0018_21_02_small.jpg
    <p />flajoker, check ou the link for the 3/1/1.5 method - works every time - just remember, regardless of the method, the best method is the one that results in ribs that 'you' like - suggestion = try them all! Life is Good! :~}

[ul][li]Baby Back Ribs[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Char-Woody, what does your "another hour to hour and a half" refer to. Is this after you apply the sauce. I assume that the initial cook takes 3 to 4 hours, then apply your sauce sand cook another 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Have I got this right?

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Wise One, yup..the ribs usually tell you when they are ready by the shrink. Thats when I toss on the sauce. Some sauce em more often but the more you sauce, add a skosh of time to the cook. Higher temps will get you there quicker but you run the chance of burning the sugars in the sauces when doing them direct. This is where foil routines will diminish that part and help the un experienced cook over the hump to a credible meal.
    Hope this helps unconfuse my confusing post :-)[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    flajoker,[p]Many ways to do indirect. I like the 3-1-1.5 method and use it often. The other methods are also good and produce ribs like many love. Try all the ways and decide what you like best. Link below has several ways to do ribs.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's site[/ul]