Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I COOKED SOME BABY BACKS LAST SATURDAY AND I FOUND MY PROBLEM WITH DRIED OUT RIBS..MY TEMP GAUGE READ 250 DEG. AND WHEN I OPENED THE DOME I NOTICED THE THERMOMETER MOVED IN AND I WATCHED THE GAUGE PEG TO 450 DEGREES INSTANTLY..MAKE SURE YOUR RIB RACK OR RIBS ARE NOT TOUCHING THE THERMOMETER OR YOU WILL GET A FALSE READING WHEN YOU CLOSE THE DOME..NEXT TIME I WILL PUT THERMOMETER THRU A SODA STRAW SO IT DOESN'T REACH SO FAR DOWN INTO DOME..JOHN

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,[p]I did this one time while I was cooking a couple of butts. I luckily caught it in plenty of time but now I'm very cautious when doing any type of cook where the tip of the thermometer may come into contact with the meat. Thanks for the heads up, good reminder for the regulars and great heads up information for the newbies.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR, you are correct. I you might find a old TV antenna element or a copper tube and cut off what you need for a spacer. A soda straw might melt. Might not. I have never tried one. We have used corks also in the past and you can use the spring clip on the exterior for a space adjustment tool.
    Regarding using CAPS in annunciation of your sentences, it would be better if you could use small italics. We do understand if there is a mechanical or physical need for the "Large Caps" in your posts..
    Thanks and cheers atcha...
    Char-Woody[p]

• sprinter
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Dang CW, felt the breese on that post. Missed ya by 15 seconds. Have a great one.[p]Troy
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR, drill a hole through a wine cork and stick the thermometer through it. Also, remove the clip from the insid eof the dome. That way when the thermometer does touch something it will push out and you can see it. (It also makes it convenient to use a single thermometer in multiple eggs!)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, good morning Troy..15 seconds is a close one!! I noted your sauce source this a.m. Looks good. I made a top sirloin aged beef two nights ago and its twin is due tonight. I thought it was one of the best so far in steaks. I am going to see if I can duplicate it tonight.
    Cheers to ya..happy Q.
    C~W[p]

• sprinter
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I've still got the fish gills on lately. Been cooking a lot of Spanish Mackerel and Cobia. Working my way through that slab of cobia my dad brought me. It was a complete side from a 97.7 pound fish, I'm betting it weighed in at about 25 pounds. What a blast. So, many many many many different cobia dishes later, I'm just about to be done with it and its all been great. I think I'm going to save about 4-5 pounds of it to make some seafood sausage with. I'm heading to FL this Friday for about 10 days, have a couple of fishing trips planned and will bring back some fresh seafood to make it with. Should be good. Then, DANG if I dont have more fish to cook when I get back (if we're lucky and can coax a few fish into the boat). We shold be able to get into some Snapper and Grouper and can generally pickup some flounder just off the docks. All of them are good eating. I'm looking forward to the trip, 10 days of relaxing sounds real good right about now.[p]Good luck with the Sirloin, how did you cook it?[p]Troy
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    sprinter,[p]My son has been bugging me to cook a large hunk of amberjace that was given to him. Could I talk you into sharing your method?[p]Bob

• sprinter
    Options
    Bob,[p]Nothing special at all. I like mine with some butter and herbs rubbed into the fish before cooking. No real need to let it sit at all. I cook it direct about 325-350 using a fish grate or a vegetable grate. Or, if you dont have one of those, put some foil on the grill and poke holes in it. It just gives more area for the fish to cook on without flaking through the grill. I try and flip mine about half way through, and baste it liberally with some remaining butter and herbs. When you have cooked it, (time varies GREATLY here, just until its flaky and cooked through) take it off the grill and put a bit more butter on it with some lemon juice. I've cooked AJ before, if I remember right its a pretty dense white meat and somewhat oily. It would be good grilled direct or smoked. I've also smoked cobia and like it that way as well. I like to use Cherry or Orange wood chips for smoking or cooking fish. I think Hickory or Mesquite is a bit too overpowering.[p]Hope this helps.[p]Troy
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    sprinter,
    Troy....Thanks a million! I give it a go for the kid :~)[p]Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks,I will try the cork trick..I didnot recieve a clip on my thermometer when I bought my egg..

• Char-Woody
    Options
    John B/St.Clair, there should have been a V shaped stainless steel clip attached to the stem of the thermometer. If not, no big deal as they are next to useless on the inside of the BGE anyway. And can be replaced with most anything on the outside. They may have discontinued even using them.
    Good luck to you and if we didn't welcome you to the forum earlier..we do it now..Welcome aboard John B.
    C~W[p]

• Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Posts: 54
    Options
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,
    GFW is the expert on BB ribs as far as I am concerned. 3/1/1.5 go to his name and get in and your rib problems are over.