Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt question......

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking for about 35 people this weekend and I am trying to figure out how much (per pound) I should cook? Also, How much can I get on my large egg?

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Buckhead Egg,[p]4-5 ounces a person is about the average serving. Thats cooked meat. So, for 35 people,at 5 ounces, you'll need about 22 pounds of cooked meat assuming about 50% loss during the cook. That would be probably 3 butts, maybe 4 if you have the room and want some extras. As far as how many you can get on the large, I have a medium, sorry, cant help on that one but my guess is that you can get that many on there and someone has a picture of how its done.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    sorry, re-reading my post, thats 22 pounds of RAW meat, not cooked meat needed. Calculations are as follows:[p]35 people x 5 ounces a person = 175 ounces cooked[p]175 x 2 = 350 ounces RAW needed (50% loss)[p]350/16 = 22 pounds plus or minus a few ounces[p]sorry for the confusion in the prior post.[p]Troy

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Butts usually go 7 - 8 pounds when raw....on a large....you can cook at least 3 Butts....and if you have a grid extender...which is like having double decked cooking grids...you can do 5 Butts...and maybe 6......But at bare minimum 3....[p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• sprinter,[p]Thanks for the breakdown!!!! I'm going to call Publix right now and pre order probably 24 pounds!!!
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Buckhead Egg,
    I had 5 8 pounders on my large last weekend..Had to take out the fire ring. Raised grid. Cooked 15-17 hrs. The two on top took about 1-2 hrs longer. Got about 22 lbs of meat.

• sprinter,
    I cooked 5 on my large two weeks ago came out great ...You don't have to have a grid ext...You can take and place 3 large butts on bottom then set a grid on top of the those and put two more on top it doesn't hurt anything if the meat touches each other... Make sure you place the top 2 where they don't touch your therm for your dome temp

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Buckhead Egg, follow this link and check out the Naked Whiz's FAQ section for a break down.

[ul][li]How much meat do I need for a large crowd? [/ul]