Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump?

Options
Turkey
Turkey Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever use this stuff? Ace Hardware had 10lb bags for $4.29. Thought I should consult here before buying anything that might be sub-par quality.[p]Price seems right.[p]Mark

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Turkey,
    It might be Millazzo brand lump. Its a brownish bag. It's fine if handled well so the powder at the bottom isn't too bad and the pieces all small. It normall runs $9 /20 lbs.[p]Tim

• Busted Gut
    Busted Gut Posts: 2
    Options
    Turkey,[p]My latest bag of BGE Lump has " Manufactured exclusively for the Big Green Egg by: ROYAL OAK." written on the bottom front label. [p]I have a Busted Gut!
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Turkey,[p]I have used Royal Oak "Old Fashioned" Brand lump for several years. It lights quickly, and burns clean, imparting a light charcoal taste to the meal. High temps are not a problem.[p]I recommend it.[p]Spin

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    Turkey,
    My local BGE dealer actually carried the Royal Oak lump in the red bag until just recently changing to Nature Glo. They are made by the same poeple now, so it is really just a change in packaging.[p]I've used a couple of 20lb bags (the red ones) and only had one piece of weird material inside. It wasn't wood at all, looked more like a small piece of batting or insulation. Other than that, my experiences have been good.[p]Mikey

• Unknown
    Options
    Turkey,[p] As noted elsewhere in the thread, Royal Oak is the BGE lump manufacturer. My dealer insisted that it was exactly the same stuff as in the BGE bags. I found that the lump lit and burned about the same as BGE, but the pieces were not nearly as large as those found in the BGE bags of lump, and therefore the Royal Oak bag did not last as long and would be more difficult to use for long cooks, i.e. pulled pork and brisket. [p]After I used up my bag of Royal Oak, I returned to the dealer and bought a bag of BGE. I told him that I thought the Royal Oak lump was too small. He said that many of his customers had that complaint last year, but the problem had been corrected this year. Not in my bag. For the extra couple bucks, I am sticking with the BGE lump.[p]Regards,
    E1