Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ginger Teriyaki Char Crust

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend, I picked up the two new Char Crust flavors Ragin’ Cajun and Ginger Teriyaki. Last night we had plain old preformed frozen hamburgers. I coated them with some of the Ginger Teriyaki and sprayed them with olive oil. As soon as got home, I lit Mr. Egg because the sky was threatening. By the time, I was ready to cook it was coming down in buckets. I tossed the burgers on at 500 and let them go for four minutes per side. Right before the three-minute dwell, I put cheese on for those who wanted it.[p]The results were good. The Ginger Teriyaki Char Crust added a nice slightly sweet flavor. It was not a strong flavor, but a nice flavor.[p]This will require more experimenting on my part to determine the best application.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Thrill
    Thrill Posts: 32
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I have heard references to the "dwell time" before when talking about cooking hamburgers. What do you mean when you say "three minute dwell"?[p]Thanks for sharing! BTW, you burger recipe sounds great![p]Thrill
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    RhumAndJerk,
    I too, just got a 7-pack sampler from Charcrust, and last week my wife used at my suggestion, the Smoky Spicy Southwest variety, on some flank steak she cooked (on the stove :+( .....)for fajitas. Came out wonderful, and I'm looking forward to trying the original Hickory flavor on my next steak, on the Egg.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Thrill,
    you will notice people posting times like 3/3/5 at any given temp..and to break that down it would be 3 minutes one side..3 minutes second side..5 minutes dwell, which means to close off the top and bottom vents = dwell..hope that wasnt to confusing..[p]Wess

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Thrill, Dwell, or Dwell Time, is a phrase coined by Mike Suttor several years ago when he was cooking on another ceramic cooker. Its the simmer time with the dome closed, the top vent capped, and the lower vent closed, so all you have doing the cook is the internal hot coals and the heat and moisture finishing up the burger, chops, steak, etc. Used mostly on the faster grill type cooking. One can do this with ribs also as a holding environment till your ready to eat. Most of the time foil wrapped to prevent overdrying the meat.
    Cheers to ya...
    C~W[p]

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I tried both the cajun and ginger teriyaki char crust. The cajun I used on some wings. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. But the G&T was not something I'd buy again. I still have some left and will try it again, but I wasn't impressed with it.[p]Smokey[p]BTW, I would buy the cajun one again!
  • RhumAndJerk
    Thrill,
    I cook my Hamburgers just like steaks, only a little longer more into the well to well-done stage. The process is to let the egg run with the vents open all the way and no top. After the second three minutes, close the bottom vent all of the way and put the ceramic cap on. This is a dwell.[p]When you are ready to take the meat off, take the cap off and open the bottom vent up all the way. Wait a few seconds. Lift the lid only a little quickly three or four times and then open the dome. This is a safety factor.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    RhumAndJerk, try it without opening the lower vent. You can accomplish the same result without sucking the cool air into the extremely hot firechamber walls. The upper incoming air has a chance to temper itself thru the upper heat areas. This may change the ratio of damaged firechambers if we can get past using the lower vent in preventing flare ups.
    Reasonable??
    Cheers to ya.
    C~W[p][p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    I had not thought about that. You may be on to something there.
    Wow, that is thinking.
    RhumAndJerk

• Smokey,
    The G&T Char Crust may be as you described. I want to try in on chicken to see what I get. Now I am excited to try the Cajun.[p]How long will it be until they make a Jerk Char Crust?
    RhumAndJerk[p]