Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh ham?

Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I sent this once already with no response, so I'm sending again. Has anyone had any luck with a fresh ham? I bought a 19 pounder for Easter dinner, so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on recipes and/or times for cooking. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Larry McSass,
    Is it brined and ready to cook?

• Larry McSass,
    Google or search Dr. Chicken sweet kiss of Death Double smoked Ham it's great

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Larry McSass,
    I would put your favorite dry rub on it. Then I would cook indirect at a temp of about 325/350. It will taste more like a pork roast then a smoked ham. It will still be good. I would take it to an internal temp of 150/155. Good luck, Tom

• BajaTom,
    Do you know the estimated times on that?

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Larry McSass,[p]I have mine (10 lbs) in a brine of 3 jugs Coke, 1 jug ginger ale, 3 cups kosher salt, 10 bay leaves, 3 cruched cloves of garlic, 15 peppercorns, and some sourwood honey. I have not fully decided if I will do in the oven or BGE. However, either way I am going to start at 500 degrees for about 20 minutes and settle in at or around 335 until 165 internal temp. I do not want to wind up with pulled pork for Easter.[p]David

• BajaTom
    Larry McSass,
    Treat this Ham like you were cooking it in the oven. Look up a couple recipes that will give time and temp. The egg will duplicate your oven only it will give you better taste. I'm thinking 15/20 minutes a pound but consult the wife and a cook book. Good luck, Tom PS You might want to inject your ham with something like a mixture of maple syrup, water & rub. I warm up the mixture making it easy to load the injecter.

• BYC
    Larry McSass,[p]Same general rule of thumb of 15-20 minutes per pound should apply. But as they say "it's done when it's done." In my case my done temp is 165 or approx 160 minutes. I'll let you know how it turns out..

• BajaTom
    byc,
    Are you sure about your temps in your post? 160 dome will be 125/130 grid. The ham will not cook with that temp. Check your post. Thanks, Tom

• BYC
    BajaTom,[p]That was "done" internal meat temp of 165. I posted earlier cooker temps of 500 for first 20 minutes and then settle in at 335 until done...
    Sorry for any confusion

• BajaTom
    BYC,
    I'm AARP eligible so forgive my eyesite. It did say done not dome. Sorry, Tom

• BYC
    BajaTom,[p]lol---yah i just received my first invitation to join AARP last week--the invite was about 10 years early but provided a dose of reality bites...[p]Happy Easter BT

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Larry McSass,[p]I did one that size several years ago. I tried to search the archives for the recipe but I can't find it. Cook indirect at about 350 until 160 internal. It won't taste what you think of as ham but will be good. Cut a diamond pattern in the skin if you want to put some type of rub or paste on it.[p]John
  • BYC
    JM3,[p]that's what i am doing and did----just added a little bourbon to the brine--

• BYC
    Larry McSass,[p]For my glaze I am going to layer with mustard and then drizzle sourwood honey brown sugar and a little Tonys all over. I am going to use some of the brine in the drip pan or oven roaster. At this point I believe I will start in a 500 degree oven for 30 minutes and then transfer to the BGE to finish off at 335 until internal freah ham temp is 165.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    BYC,
    'done'at 165 will probably climb another 10 degrees, giving you a roast cooked to 175.[p]i dunno. personally i'd yank it off the egg at 135, max. it'd coast to 145.[p]pork doesn't need to be taken to 160, not these days anyway.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BYC
    stike,[p]yup will pull at 145-150 and expect to climb to 162 or so...---thanks for the reminder to rest