Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back rib prep question..

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone shed some light on how to prepare some baby back ribs before cooking them. I'm not sure when/if I should put a rub. When/if I should marinate them. And if I do both or either, I'm not sure what to use.. Thanks for any advice!!
Tim

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    TimNga,
    You can see my picumentary of how I do em..in the cooks section of my website...there is no wrong way, other than boiling..LOL..just a personal preference thing..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    TimNga,[p]WessB, Naked Whiz, thirdeye, all this knowledge, so little time![p]To add to the mix, here's a movie I made of on of my sparerib cooks - beginning to end![p]Use Realplayer to watch, Windows Media Player doesn't have the right codecs...[p]Good Luck![p]Chuck
    [ul][li]Cookin' Babybacks - the movie[/ul]
  • TimNga,
    You can do one or the other, or both. Ribs, especially babybacks are probably the best at giving you the chance to experiment. There are 100's of ways to do ribs and none of them are wrong. It's just a matter of taste. I usually buy a 3-pack from COSTCO and cook all of them at the same time. I do each slab a different way.
    The basics are to make sure you peal off the membrane on the bone side. You can use a rub or a marinade. The next thing is to cook them slow. I do them at around 225-230 indirectly. Other do use a little higher temp. Some use foil, some don't. I foil for 1 hour if I'm making a tropical hawaiian type ribs. I pour pineapple juice in the foil for flavor. After foiling I usually cook a 1/2 hr to heat the sauce. I cook spare ribs longer.
    When I started out egging I went out and got Steven Raichlin's book "Ribs, Ribs, Outrageous Ribs" and cooked my way through every recipe that sounded good. Now I'm working my way through Dr BBQ's and Paul Kirks books among others. Just make sure you grade each recipe afterwards because after so many cooks you start to forget which ones you really liked and which ones you didn't.You can go to websites like dizzypigbbq.com, wessb's, naked whiz's and others for help. There isn't a shortage of opinions around here and the good thing is they almost always share them.