Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DiGiorno: Frozen Rising Crust Pizza

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone cooked a store bought, frozen rising crust pizza? The only thing I can see tricky about these is that the directions have you start with a cold oven and with the oven set for 400 degrees; the pizza takes 25-30 minutes to cook. The lower starting temps slowing defrost the pizza and allow for the rising action. [p]My guess on how to cook these is to thaw out the pizza for an hour or so, use an electric starter in the Egg for the 8 minutes (helps to limit smoke), plop the pizza in the BGE on a stone and play with the times. This may not be as convenient as the out-of-freezer into the oven method but give you the wood smoked flavor.[p]Tom

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]You might get way too much smoke flavor.[p]I cook mine just like a regular pizza. Getting the Egg upto 500+ is important to reduce the smokeyness. At 575-625 deg will give you a hint of smoke - like a hearth oven taste which is all I want in bread.[p]You need more than a pizza stone and 550+ deg to get the toppings crispy.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Try one of those Freschetta Pizzas, [p]the Four Cheese is brilliant but dribble some good olive oil on it prior to cooking. You'll be pleased.[p]
  • ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    BRE,[p]I prefer the Freschetta over Digiorno's actually. How do you prepare the Egg for the Freschetta?[p]Tom
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ColoradoCook,
    "How do you prepare the Egg for the Freschetta?"[p]
    Same way - its all the same when doing pizza or breads.[p]I have done many of all the store bought doughs - all are good, some give me a good dose of gass though. Ye haaa[p]Tim