Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini vs. Small???

Options
jc
jc Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering a BGE to use on my rather small apartment balcony to grill for two. I think that a mini is plenty big enough for a couple of chicken brests or burgers, but is there some compelling reason to go with a small instead? Does the mini "perform" as well as it's larger siblings?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    jc,
    The mini perfoms very well from what I have seen and heard. But the small gives you much more flexibility. Holds more charcoal for longer cooks. Has more grill space. Has more space in the dome for larger cuts of meat. Has more space for indirect setups.[p]Welcome to the forum, and best of luck with your purchase.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    jc,
    I have both a small and a mini. I would start off with the small. You can do long cooks like pork butt and briskets in the small. The mini would be hard for a long cook, just due to the amount real estate. I have cooked a rack of ribs on the mini and that works well.[p]I got the mini for travel purposes and additional capacity.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    i agree. also can do a bird,whether chicken or turkey in small. maybe small bird but bird nonetheless

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Mini_Egg.jpg
    <p />jc,[p]I also have a Small and a Mini (a Large too). I find myself using the Small most of the time. I can prepare an entire meal on it. The Mini is exceptional as a grill and I purchased mine, like previously posted, to take along for picnics, family gatherings, fishing, camping etc.[p]My vote, if having to pick between the two would also be the Small. Larger and more versatile.[p]Carl T

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    Carl T,[p]Are you very anal retentive or was it just a fluke that your rubbermaid storage box is BGE green?[p]Lol.[p]Your pal,
    Bill

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Grill with Bill, no. If he were anal retentive, his grass would also be BGE green.

• jc
    jc Posts: 10
    Options
    I want to thank you all for your comments - you've pretty much convinced me to spring for a small. It is, however, going to be an uphill battle to convince the CFO that we need a $400 grill.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    jc,
    It should be more in the $278-$315 price range.
    RhumAndJerk