Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another "greenie" does his first egg grill...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up my "old-style" (on sale) large egg today, set it up on cinder blocks (I plan to build a nest soon) and readied for my first cook in a green egg. Needless to say, I was excited, especially after reading all the wonderful posts here and visiting other BGE web sites.[p]So how did it go? Not bad for my first try....[p]I didn't have much time so I put on the foil-wrapped potatoes when I cranked it up to 400-425 and let them go for about 45 minutes. I then opened all the vents and within minutes it was at 725. It happened so fast I forgot to add my apple wood chips. I seared my two steaks for 1.5 min. each side, then shut all the vents and let her coast down. Within 2.5 min. I was removing the steaks and man did they have some nice sear markings on them. Hooo-boy![p]The steak was done alittle too much but very tasty! The potatoes were orgasmic! My wife was ooh'ing and ahh'ing as she stuffed three potatoes in her little 110# body. She is very happy with the egg, which makes the expense not so bad.....hehehe.[p]I am glad to be in the group of egg fanatics....[p]Robert
Micanopy, FL

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Rmplstlskn, welcome aboard..and your on your way..your steak cook was fine, but shorten the dwell time to about 5 minutes or less. 3 for medium rare.
    Yell out if you need fine tuning and double check the BGE recipe book with the forum on some of the printed methods..Times change as well as the techniques.
    Char-Woody

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Rmplstlskn,[p]Welcome to you. I always do foil wrapped spuds for a min of 2 hrs at 250 deg and 3 is good too.[p]Don't worry about smoking woods on a fire over 350 deg as it will not smoke - just burns.[p]High temp seared steaks on the Egg happen in 2-4 min so I suggest that folks get the thickest ones they can find. The normal 1/2" - 3/4" ones will be over done more easily than a 1.5" or thicker ones.[p]Good luck with your new toy.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim M's cookbook & Pic place[/ul]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Rmplstlskn,
    Welcome on board , your goin love to food from here on in. They may not always turn out the way you want things to, but you can bet, it will be far better than gas. lots more fun too.[p]Earl

• ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Tim M,[p]Since the chips will just burn how can you maximize the wood flavor (I like mesquite with steaks and burgers) in the meat? Is the 30 minute soak the key? Or, is it chunks? I do a 3/3/5-8, is it good to add soaked chips on the dwell time? I saw your site and you cut a piece out of your grid so you could drop chips in; that's a little project of mine this weekend.[p]Tom
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    ColoradoCook,
    Meat absorbs smoke best when cool. I use chunks almost always. If you like smoke flavor, chunks are best. Try this for your steaks. Spin/Cat told me about this method for steaks.[p]Rub your steak with lots of pepper, or whatever you like. Put it in the freezer for maybe an hour until just the exterior is frozen. Get a small fire going, as you would for a low slow (I like to do it off to the side for this trick). Once your cooker is at 180, plunge a chunk or two (don't need to be soaked), right into the fire. Put your part-frozen steak on (use the opposite side from where your fire is, so that it doesn't cook), and close bottom vent to maybe 1/4 inch. When your cooker reaches 200 pull of steak, and open vents to bring cooker up to searing temps. I don't see why it would not work with burgers too.[p]Using chunks it a hotter fire with your burgers will also give you some smoke flavor, just not as much.
    Just some idears.
    Cheers! and oh yeah...Beers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    ColoradoCook,
    Exactly!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Nature Boy,[p]Gotta love computers, "glitch heaven." Interesting idea, I'll try that one soon. A friend of mine has a standard wood cooker/smoker, he likes to thaw out his steaks just enough to pat it with seasoning (rock hard in the middle). I tried this method with a 3/3/8 and it gave a nice crispy outside with medium center, it was the best steak I cooked yet but still not enough mesquite flavor.[p]Tom

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    ColoradoCook,[p]I use to add wet chips to the end of the dwell time, that allowed the egg to cool a little and smoke more.[p]A word of caution here: Opening the Egg with smoke rolling and a really hot fire trying to reignite is where you can get a flashback - always open the top and bottom vents first and slowly open the dome.[p]Tim