Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leap of Faith with my first Butt

Options
Thrill
Thrill Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]After a year of smoking ribs, pork chops, steak, turkeys and the like, I believe I am ready to take the leap into the chasm of the 20-hour smoke.[p]This morning, I rubbed up a 7lb Boston Butt with MikeO's EggFest rub (thanks MikeO) and some yellow mustard. I stuck it back in the fridge, anxious to get it on the Egg tonight.[p]Let me make sure I got it right: To have it ready for 7pm Friday night, I'm putting it on at 10pm tonight with some hickory chips. Set the Egg to 225-250, and let her ride for about 20 hours, at which point the butt will be "fork tender" or 200* internal. Take it off the Egg and wrap in foil til the poker buddies arrive. Pull the pork and watch it disappear in 30 minutes or less.[p]One question. How do you determine if a butt is "fork tender"?[p]Thanks to all that provided info to this forum/site that allowed me to actually think I could do this.[p]I'll provide an update with the results.[p]Thrill

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thrill,
    You will be able to easily twist a fork in it. Or grab the bone and twist it. It should slide right out. [p]I can tell just by sliding the polder probe in and out. It should slide in and out with little or no resistence.[p]Sounds like a plan! Watch your internal temps though, the 7.5 pound butt I did a couple days ago finished in 12 hours. That is the exception rather than the norm though.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Options
    Thrill,[p]Where did you find that rub recipe. I can 't seem to find it on the website. Can you please direct me to the proper URL or email it to me? I have all the fixins for J.J.'s rub and want to do two Butts this weekend to compare two rubs.[p]Thanks
  • Thrill
    Thrill Posts: 32
    Options
    Turkey,[p]You can find it by selecting the "Submitted Recipes" link at the top of the forum page. Once there, select the "EggFest Butt Rub" in the sauces section. I have heard rave reviews of this rub, but this is my first smoke with it, too.[p]Below is a shortcut straight to the rub recipe (at least if I do this right)[p]Good luck,[p]Thrill
    [ul][li]Eggfest Butt Rub[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Thrill,
    I just finished 3 at once..you can trust an internal temp of 200°...I let them rest for 20 - 30 minutes and put on the rubber gloves and just litterally squeezed..instant pulled pork....it was quite the site...BTW..mine took 26 hours but that was 3 of em[p]Wess

• Jacket
    Jacket Posts: 2
    Options
    I'll backup my buddy Thrill on this one. I was at the poker game and got the honor of partaking of Thrill butt (yikes that didn't sound right). The flavor was amazing.[p]Thrill recruited me into the BGE world. He help me shop for the Egg and even built my table. That is a true Egg Mentor. Thanks buddy![p]Jacket