Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Attemp a Success!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been putting off trying pizza in the egg for two reasons--my oven method was pretty good, and the frequent first-attemp failure postings here in the forum seemed pretty high. But, today was the day, as I received my grill extender this week, and my very kind neighbor gave me a custom-cut fireproof tile that he got at Builder's Square (or some such place) that fits beautifully in a medium (thanks Frank!). I used my usual crust, that is a King Arthur Flour CO. recipe employing their Italian Style Flour that rolls out extremely thin and cooks cracker-crisp. Instead of two x 16", we made four x 10" with a double rise, and (using Forum recomendations) slid them onto the stone at 550* using parchment paper (my skills with a peel would have put them in the street!). Ten minutes later, the verdict--PERFECTION!! I can't beleve the diffenence!! Another famiy review of the "best ever" to be added to ribs, turkey, chicken, and pulled pork. I keep telling them that it's not me butthe BGE, but if they want to give me the credit, why argue?
PS--I met Bill twice in Atlanta. He toyed with me the first time since he had lived within five miles of my home (and didn't tell me) and knew the area. I have fond memories his questions and comments that constantly gave me a "how'd you know that?" reaction before he fessed up to his deception. He was special and will be greatly missed; my best to his family.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jim in Belleville,
    Sounds great. I guess Pizza Hut days are over!![p]Try that peel, it requires very little skill. Just make sure plenty of corn meal is spread arround, and they are like little ball bearings. The pie slides right off with a jiggle.[p]Glad to hear of your success.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jim in Belleville, Nature Boy's right. I got my peel from a commercial kitchen supply and it's a breeze to operate. I went right by Spin's recipe. My first peatzers wuz wunderfull. Now you got my mouth watering. I wish I had made up some dough last night so I could be pizzaing tonight. Try the stuffed crust next time. Make your crust much larger than you need then roll up some cheese and pre-cooked sausage in the outer edge. Put in way more cheese and sausage in the edge than you think you need. It kinda disapears and leaves a puffed up tasty edge on your pizza. It make a great border (dike) to contain the filling lots of goodies, and it makes the outer edge delicious too. If you are not building your pizza on the peel with cornmeal between the peel and the crust, put plenty of cornmeal on the countertop before you try to pick it up with the peel. Cornmeal is the secret to successfully moving and positioning your pizza on the peel, the countertop, or the stone in the egg. Cornmeal don't burn easily either.

• dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Jim in Belleville,
    Me too, cousin. Just pulled ours off and ate the rear end out of it. Pretty good for a first time. Got a 10# shoulder on now. 20 hrs it'll be ready. Setting the alarm for 3:00 to chech da coals...

• dan_c, awh man,,, now I want to smoke a B.B. and I ain't got one of them ready too..

• dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    King-O-Coals,
    Awww it ain't that late is it? The piggly~wiggly don't close all night. It'll be worth it tomorrow eve. Don't forget you're favorite adult beverage while you're out!! So how's Dauphine Island lookin' tonite?

• dan_c, I'm 25 miles away from a decient meat store,, but I keep the adult beverages stocked, just incase the world goes bad and the liquor stores get looted. The Island is beautiful. We are having mid 70 temps and full sun. I have had my airconditioner on for the last three nights. It's weird down here in the latter winter months. Fireplace one day,, airconditioner the other. I got my little pork loin brined, coated with seasonings and mustard and wrapped in plastic wrap and was told by my wife that I could cook it tomorrow instead of today. I gotta grill fish today. Oh well,, at least it involves my egg. This weekend I'm kneeding up a batch of dough and I will have pizza this week. I'm getting some babybacks and a butt for next weekend. If we ain't careful, we will be up to our Boston Butts in pigs. Everybody keep eating as fast as you can...:^]