Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wokking at the Fest

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
upenn2.jpg
<p />For those of you interested in using a wok on your BGE here is a wok pic from the Fest.[p]Mark Galin, a photographer from the Washington Post who helped cover the Fest for the Post, took this pic. [p]Some of his pics ran with the article in the Post. Did anyone see them?

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    char buddy,
    I've been looking for a good wok for years. What is the manufacturer of yours? It looked like it worked real good.
    JimW

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    char buddy:[p]Did you clip the handles off that wok or did you bend the handles so it would fit in the BGE? Is the wok setting direct on the lump coals for this cook? Do you try to control the fire or do you cook fast and furious removing the cooked food as quickly as possible before it is too done? Nice picture thanks for posting.
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    djm5x9,
    The wok from the outdoor home store fits nicely in the BGE as is - no bent handles, etc. The wok is setting above the coals on the firebox lip.
    Wokking on a BGE is like wokking on a real high heat stove built for a wok in a restaurant. It's not so much that you are cooking at a higher temp than a normal gas stove, it's more that your wok comes back to temp faster when you add new ingredients.

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    char buddy:[p]Got it. That hot fire is what makes wokking so good! Thanks for the information.

• Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    char buddy,[p] Just got the actual article today. There is a big picuture of bdavidson as "Naan Man", a smaller one of James and his pineapple upside down cake, and a teeny tiny one of my hands rubbing a pork shoulder. Incidentally, it is possible to order back issues of the Washington Post. For the first 30 days after publication, you have to go to their office downtown -- the price at the circulation desk is $0.25. After 30 days, you can order by mail and the price goes up substantially. I had planned to go downtown on the METRO and buy about 10 copies but since I'm going into surgery on Friday, I won't be able to get there in time. If you do try to order, ask for the 5/10/2001 Southern Maryland Extra Section . . .[p]MikeO

[ul][li]How to Get Washington Post Back Issues[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    char buddy ,
    We have a fairly high end gas stove, but not like the BTUs from the Viking professional deals. I have not been able to get that wonderful high temp flavor like your wokking at the fest. I think the lump temps that you can achieve on humpty would make for much better wokking than your standard gas stove. There are hundreds of chinese restaurants in our area, and a few stand out....I believe mainly because of the high temps they cook with.[p]I am still kicking myself for only picking up one Wok when I was in Chinatown in Toronto (Earl-ville). It was 10 bucks. I think I will break down, and order one from the place you got yours.[p]Thanks for the demo at the fest.
    Cheers to you.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    MikeO,
    "Naan Man", a.k.a. "Bread Boy."

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450