Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie wants a burger

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Folks,
Have been really into Dutch Oven cooking the past few years and my wife just blew me away with a BGE for our anniversary. Had never heard of them before.
My first try was swordfish and boy-howdy was it good!! But how does one cook burgers and steaks without picking up the lid, what temp should I shoot for and how long. The book that came with it is a bit vague. If it's just hit or miss till I get it down, so be it, but a hint or two would surely be appreciated.
Having Fun, Gordon

Comments

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Hey Gordon,[p]Burgers:[p]All burgers are good on the Egg. I used to make my own patties, however, the frozen Black Angus burgers they sell at Sam's are out of this world, so I don't bother anymore.[p]I heat my Egg to around 500+, and nice hot grilling temp. Throw the frozen patties on the grid, close the lid for a minute two to sear that side, then open, flip & sprinkle with Dizzy Dust (dry rub)close again and cook till desired doneness...keeping Egg at grilling temp entire cook. [p]I like mine-a-mooing so it doesn't take long, hum less than 10 mins or so I think. After the flip, I don't fiddle with them...no need and they are soooo juicy.[p]Have fun,[p]Tish
  • bbqdiva
    Oh Gordon, don't forget to add some wood chips to the fire!

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Gordon,
    Welcome! You're right: the book is vague... Standard advice is to send in the warranty registration card and pitch the rest of the book.[p]Burgers. There are as many ways to cook 'em as there are cooks. For our tastes, I heat the Egg to 350 degrees and put the burgers on for 6 minutes. Flip and cook another 6.[p]In general, the higher the heat the more your burgers will shrink. And while the Egg will help burgers stay moist, the longer time the more done the burger will be.[p]Homework <grin> be sure to check the recipe section here, as well as the Eggfest cookbooks compiled by Wise One on Naked Whiz's or WessB's websites. And while you're visiting The Naked Whiz, check out the dangers of flashback.[p]Happy Egging,
    Ken

• bbqdiva
    Heya BlueSmoke,[p]"the book is vague... Standard advice is to send in the warranty registration card and pitch the rest of the book."[p]Couldn't agree with you more :-) A friend of mine just bought her first Egg...She's obsessed with the BGE book and the DVD that came with it :P I suggested she come her for cooking advice...and gave her The Whiz's link too.[p]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Gordon,[p]What a great gift your wife gave you. Your Dutch Oven will work well in the Egg too. As already said, there's several Eggers who have really good web sites. Check those out for starters. Also, read over the archives here. You will probably be surprised at all the different kinds of food that the Egg will help you make. [p]You asked about steaks. There is a method commonly used named after one of the people on this forum. Do a search in the archives using "TRex steak." You'll find a bunch of references on how to sear steaks at 700+ degrees. The results are great. [p]gdenby

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    gdenby,
    Amen to DO's and Eggs: I did a pot roast in a DO last night - best yet![p]Ken

• bbqdiva,[p]Throw a small spanish onion on the burning coals next time. That is my favorite for burgers.[p]E

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Eggecutioner,[p] Heck with the coals put that ON-YON on the burger, Beau!![p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    Celtic Wolf,
    in the burger works well also. lots of ways to cook burgers in the egg

[ul][li]have a nice day[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gordon,
    Hi my name is PaPa ShaBBQ. I like to cook burgers on the egg. Here is what I recommend. Get some 80/20 meat. Roll into whatever size patties you want. Be sure to get some french onion soup mix. The good kind. Mix in the soup mix to the meat patties. Next start the grill. Be sure not to do this without a parent if you are not one. Get grill to 350 degrees. Cook burgers 6 minutes each side. Next put a burger on a bun. Then crunch up some lettuce. Crunch it up. Be sure to use whatever sauce you like. Enjoy because this is how you cook when you are cooking with PaPa ShaBBQ.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    fishlessman,[p] I am going to have burger nightmares now!!

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Gordon, Welcome to the cult. Here's my .02 on burgers.
    Get yourself a raised grid. That's either a reg grid raised up about 5 inches by using fire bricks, or by making your own, or by buying one from the mothership. This gets the meat a little farther away from the coals.
    Now, 80/20 meat (ground chuck) half-pound patties, add a few sprinkles of worcestershire, sprinkle on some dizzy pig rub, or any seasoning you like.
    Heat the egg to 250º. Use some wood chunks for smoke. Put the patties on for about 40 minutes, flipping after 20. I take them off at 150º internal. You're in for a treat!
    You can do em faster, but they won't be better. Good Luck,
    Mike

• FlaMike,
    Thanks very much for the info to you and all. It's to bad I can only get around to trying this stuff on weekends.
    Gordon