Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Butt - Too much fat ????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Smoked my first butt today - 3.5 pounds (since it was just my wife and I) and took it out after it hit 185. The pork was great but there seemed to be allot of fat and not much meat - barley enough for my wife and I. Should I have cooked it longer or is this much fat standard on the butt ??????

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Jfol,
    I did 2 butts Fri. nite..they were my first and I took everyones advice of cooking to an internal temp of 200° and there was VERY little fat left. The concept of the low and slow (Dome temp of 225-250°) breaks down all the fat and colagen (sp) mine came out very tender and juicy I hit the plateau at 181° internal and it slammed on the brakes which is when all that stuff is breaking down..dont rush it, let it take as long as it wants to rise[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Jfol,[p]The presence of a lot of fat indicates that the butt could be cooked longer (at a lower temperture). Butts tend to have much more fat than the picnic, with the picnic having a slightly hammier taste. I tend to cook mostly picnic cuts and average around 50% finished meat to raw by weight. [p]Pulled pork freezes and reheats well and cooking a larger cut will provide for the purpose plus leftovers. Reheat in the microware at 30-40% power.[p]Congratulations on your first of many more.[p]Spin[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    WessB, You have nailed the essence of the reason. My 9.11 lbs took a full 18 hrs of cook. 225 the entire period. Finish temp (No thermometer's used except dome) was 212 degree F internal. Great bark.
    C~W