Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf on the Egg......mmmm.....mmmmmm.......good!

dhuffjr
dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally did a meatloaf on the Egg tonight and it was good good good.
I decided to do it in a baking dish because that is what all our guru's and their sites said they did. I think I'd put it on one of those disposable grids if I made it this way again, it was plenty juicey and I didn't get the crispy outside I'd have liked better.[p]First the extra stuff. I was going to finely chop but the wife was helping and put the peppers in a electric chopping gizmo. Two peppers one red one green, a small onion (I did chop that by hand) a tablespoon or so of fresh from the jar garlic, a jiggle or two of worchesteshire sauce, some ketchup, one egg, a can of mushrooms that I finely chopped (by hand) and some DP RTS. [p]meatloafstuffoverkill.jpg[p]To all that I added one 2.25 lb package of 80/20 ground beef, formed it into a loaf, and put it in a baking dish. It has so stuff in it that it kinda reminds me of pickle loaf.[p]meatloafreadyforcooking.jpg[p]I put some more RTS on top and then smeared on some more ketchup and off to the egg we went
meatloafontheegg.jpg[p]My kids must have been getting some vibes from Texas as my daughter pulled out a huge LR sized bag of tater tots from the freezer case. Using common sense and the authoritative no of father hood I said "sure honey anything you want".....not really, we got the smaller sized bag......[p]meatloafplate.jpg[p]Plated with some fresh brussel sprouts and who knows how old processed chopped formed and preserved potatos. After I made the tots look like Mount Fuji in December I was able to eat them. I think this was the second time in 20+ years that I've ate those things....the last time they were doing a nacho impression, coated in cheese sauce and covered in hot peppers.[p]Bottom line. Meatloaf is awesome on the Egg. I probably went way overkill with all the stuff I put in it but it certainly was as juicey as you could want it. I think I try it with the same amount of stuff.....maybe a few other items :>) and put it on a grid indirect to see if I can't get a little burger bark action going. The inside should stay plenty moist. This puppy was swimming in juices from the veggies with just a little fat on top.

Comments

• AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    dhuffjr,
    That is one good looking meal. You've inspired me to do a meatloaf in the near future. Thanks for the post. Nice cook. AZ

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    dhuffjr,
    Sorry for the blank post-cockpit error.
    Anyway, Like your loaf. I frequently do meatloaf on the egg. I start them in a pan for maybe 30 to 40 minutes and then fold out on a screen to finish. The time in the pan allows them to firm up and hold a shape while they finish. I do them over low heat and let them enjoy the smoke.
    Dave

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    I love meatloaf off the egg. It soaks up those smoky flavors you just don't get in the oven. I like how you used an open pan so it can develop a crust.
  • gman
    gman Posts: 106
    On a side note, what was your recipe for brussel sprouts? I want to like those bitter things, but I just haven't got a good recipe. And are fresh sprouts less bitter than frozen?
  • dhuffjr
    G-man,
    I've done them twice and do them the way Ken Stone described. I've just been using olive oil to coat them and then liberally I sprinkle on Shaking the Tree. I really like the sweet from the sugar in the rub on the sprouts. Get the pan hot then add some oil to the pan spread it around and dump in the sprouts. I cook them on high heat 2-3 minutes then put a plate on top of the pan to let them steam and reduce the heat for 5-7 minutes or so. They end up slightly crunchy with a almost nutty flavor. Sprouts are a love em or hatem thing I think but I can say I will probably never buy them in a box from the freezer section again.[p]Below is how Ken described them.[p]Cut off the bottoms and remove any loose, or dark, leaves. Cut each sprout in half and toss with a drizzle of oil - you want just enough to coat the leaves. Set aside.
    In a saute pan (oven proof is preferable), heat oil and butter - about 2 tablespoons of each. Just before the pan begins to smoke, add the sprouts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss. Reduce heat to low and cook 4 or 5 minutes. Cover the pan and continue to cook until sprouts are fork-tender (another 5 to 6 minutes). Alternately, you can put the covered pan in a 375 degree oven for the last 5 minutes.

• dhuffjr
    G-man,
    This didn't develope as much crust as I would have liked. It was literally swimming in juices. Gonna try on a grid above the pan next time.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    dhuffjr,[p]Meatloaf is one of my favorite things on the egg. There's no comparison to the oven and it will NEVER ever be done anywhere else again, LOL![p]Next time you do it, toss some cherry wood in before you put the loaf in. It's a wonderful compliment. You'll also find today that your leftovers (if you have the) will have a more smokey flavor. Don't know why that happens, but, like many things, they're often better the next day.[p]Here's how I do my meatloaf...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]My Cherry Smoked Meatloaf[/ul]
  • dhuffjr
    QBabe,
    I had looked at yours. Your one of the guru's I referred to :>)[p]I put in a few cherry wood chips right as the pan went on.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    dhuffjr,[p]Looks great, but the brussel sprouts are a no no in our house. The tater tots look great too!![p]Smokey
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    dhuffjr,[p]Not sure I'm a guru, but thanks![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    dhuffjr,
    Man, that does look good! Mama's been craving meatloaf...maybe this weekend. Nice job on the Tots![p]Mike

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    dhuffjr,[p]Remember the stuff in school, I think they called it Litmus paper where you could either taste it or not, and it was genetic?[p]Well that is the same cemical that is in Brussel sprouts. So If you find them bitter, you could probably taste that paper when you were a kid, and nothing you do is going to make them less bitter to you.[p]As for cooking, I have never done anything but boil them with some garlic, so I will definately have to try the pan cooked like this. They are actually one of the very few vegies I like.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Lawn Ranger, have you ever tried egging the tater tots using skewers...
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    tjv,
    Not yet....hmmmm. Totkabobs!

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    dhuffjr,[p]You ought to try heating the tater tots on the egg!!! That smoky flavor really sets them off!!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_00991.jpg
    <p />dhuffjr,
    I too am a big fan of meat loaf on the BGE - however if you want to kick it up another notch get yourself one of these meatloaf baskets - the smoke is uniform and there is no grease collected on the bottom. I got this at Hawgeyes.

[ul][li]ckick here for Hawgeyes[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.