Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pittsburgh Steak

Options
Mañana Mike
Mañana Mike Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I guess I'm really slow. I need the particulars on how to get a steak to look like Kenny Gs. Spices? Marianate? My wife loves the egg but when she saw that picture, she said I was really a nugget & needed help. get me out of the pero casa.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mañana Mike,[p]Pittsburgh style steak is very rare in the middle with a crust formed from a very high temperature, short time sear. Dry the meat well with paper towels (helps with crusting) and stick them in the freezer to stiffen up a bit. Load your Egg up to just below the grill with lump charcoal and light it in several places. Reinstall the grill, open the bottom vent wide and remove the top vent completely.[p]Once the temperature gauge has reached 600°F, retrieve the steaks from the freezer and dust one side with kosher salt. Add fresh cracked pepper to both sides and press into the meat. Once your Eggs temperature has cranked well past 750°F, add the steaks directly on the grill and close the dome. Wait 2 minutes and flip the steaks. Wait 2 minutes and remove the finished meal. A light brushing with clarified butter is the finishing touch.[p]A pair of gloves and long tongs are quite useful for this cook.[p]Spin
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Mañana Mike,[p]Sorry I couldn't get back to ya fast enough on this one. As usual, Spin's got it nailed. There might be an "official" spice formulation that the Pittsburgh recipe calls for but I don't know what it is. I like a blend of spicey Montreal steak seasoning and Char-Crust garlic peppercorn. As Spin said, a little time in the freezer just before an extreme temp sear (1200*+) makes all the difference. I try to achieve a cool red/pink center to go with the crust.[p]K~G

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Thanks for all the help. All you guys are great. Hope to make a Eggtoberfest soon. Tough trip from Oregon or Mexico.

• Mañana Mike
    Options
    Spin,[p]As I told all the rest, you guys are really a great help. I hope to make it to an Eggtoberfest soon but it is a tough trip from Oregon or Mexico.[p]Thanks