Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

standing rib roast

Options
WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
was just reading Dr. Chickens recipe and it appears some thing are missing...specificaly..how much salt to make the crust..anyway..I plan on doing a 4 rib bone in standing rib roast for my Mom on mothers day and would appreciate any advice..it would appear that the salt crust is the general consensus as the prefered cook...will listen to anyone willing to comment...and Thanks..[p]Wess

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    WessB, just so you'll know up front Dr Chicken is at work right now so he won't see your post till morning..OK? I will tell you however I have performed Dr Chicken's magic trick five times now and can and will attest to it's ability to knock your socks off!
    There are a couple modifications which even he has consented to...use an egg white or two depending on the size in the paste and use kosher salt in place of the rock salt.
    Another regular poster here is "sprinter" and I know he swears by this recipe too, but sprinter normally is just here in day light hours.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    geeez... you ask about proportions and I forgot to respond...for every 2.5# of prime rib (boneless) I use 1 cup of coasre kosher, 1/2 tablespoon of flour and 1 egg white and 1 teaspoon of water. Natural juices from the meat itself will give you more moisture than you belive. Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    WessB,[p] Doc. Chicken's recipe is a good one. I've also been thinking about adapting this recipe to the BGE:[p]Emeril's Horseradish Crusted Rib Roast[p]MikeO