Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Beef Jerky questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1) What meat is the best to use, cut, thickness?
2) How long should I cook? (I Know this depends on cut and thickness, but give me something to look for).
3) Do I use drip pan?[p]Thanks,
Richard P.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Richard P.,
    1. The cut of meat is a personal preference. I have used brisket and others use sirloin, flank or top round. I guess that you could use London Boil as well.
    2. The cooking time could last from four to eight hours. Only you will be able to tell when it is done when you cook it.
    3. Skip the drip pan.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, good post..I can add nothing further...:-) BTW...whats a "london boil" ?? Gotcha!!
    C~W
    (jerky seaonings love just about any kind of meats)

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Touché.
    R&J[p]

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Richard P.,
    I have always used london broil...about 1/8 to 1/4" thick..[p]Wess

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=41173366&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Richard,[p]This is the setup that works best for me so far.[p]The meat is brisket and is cut in 18" strips. Bearfan swears by london broil. It is experimenting which is the most fun.[p]The cook is indirect(note HD foil)[p]The temp is 200[p]The time is whenever it is done. Normally not less than 4 hours.[p]I spend the time to hang from toothpicks. Don't know if it's neccesary or not.[p]Have fun.[p]Mick

• Pig Picker
    Pig Picker Posts: 28
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]That is an awesome setup! I must try it.[p]PP