Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone make beef jerky on the egg?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1) Is it possible?
2) Is it worth it?
3) Is it hard to do?[p]Thanks for your help. BTW, I have the small BGE.[p]Richard P.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Richard P.,
    I have not done jerky on my egg YET..have done it countless times in a dehydrator..many here do jerky on the egg I believe there are some of the recipes and techniques posted in the recipe section, you will get several responses to that question...however..as my experience with jerky goes...you probably cant make enough on the small to be worth the trouble..with my dehyd. I start with approx. 5# of meat..and the jerky is gone in well less than a week..there are many different custom made grill set ups that you will find users have made..so whatever looks best to you ..go for it...bottom line...YES..YES..NO

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Richard P.,
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. No[p]I have a small and I just made a batch on Sunday. On Saturday, I called ahead to my butcher and he trimmed and sliced a 3 lb. brisket for me. When I got home, I put it in the marinade.[p]On Sunday Morning, I fired up the egg to barely 200 and put the meat on. I use a perforated grill wok that holds the pile of meat. I let the meat cook for about seven hours in the 150 to 250 range. I was shooting for 225. The important thing is to turn the meat pile every half hour. I used a nice big chunk of Red Oak for smoking wood.[p]Later that night, I was at the store and saw that they wanted $6 for 4 oz. of jerky. I made about two pounds for around $9[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Richard P.,[p](1) absolutetly, it's a stable in our house, have to make some this evening (curing) and smoke it Friday or Saturday.[p](2) consider the cost in the package, and Top Round Roast at less than $3.00 per lb. I usually make 6 lbs per run, but I will be able to double and triple that amount in the future with a gizzy I am building.[p](3) the hardest part is not gettting the samples after 3 hours in the smoker. The jerky need not be brittle, but is best when pliable and your able to easily tear it apart. You can make jerky out of high grade hamburger (not so hot) and other meats. You can make it in cubes or strips large and small. Your meat cutter (butchers kill livestock) :-) can slice your meats to your desired thickness. My meat cutter does a beautiful job with it. Just trim out the muscle and membranes if you like. I pull em out after cooking. You can use splatter screens or regular jerky screens or hang em with toothpicks as some here do it.
    Low and slow...200 to 225F for up to 4 hours..your jerky will tell you when its ready by taste testing often. Best to condition the tounge with beer while testing..heeeyaaa.
    Cheers ...Char-Woody

• RhumAndJerk
    This is recipe that I used with some modifications. I used Mrs. Dog’s, of course. I also added some crushed red pepper and a shot of rum. For the soy sauce, I use a combination of Regular and Dark Soy.
    R&J

[ul][li]Jerky Recipe[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, I am sorry, I humbly apologize, I am in deep dispair now...:-)
    You did good..!! I didn't see your post till I stumbled thru mine..We do agree in the context.
    But "Butcher" ????? Brings back memories!! Grinnin atcha..
    Char-Woody[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    “a stable in our house”… Just what type of meat have you been using to make Jerky?[p]Heeeeee,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    Meat cutter. Sorry. Smile.
    R&J

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, Yeee gads..what a typo..Consider this a P and a b are just upside down..heeeyaaaa.
    Dang, but I be horse meat would be good jerky,,just not from the Kentucky Derby tho...BTW..Who did win?
    C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    WessB,
    Five pounds on the Small would not be a problem. When you get your small, you will see.
    RhumAndJerk

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, Your forgibben! We did have fun with that one a while back, and I will admit..there are combo's..I just hope the "butcher" washes and changes clothes before he comes up front to be a "meat cutter". :-)
    Big Cheers atcha...
    C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    8th race - Churchill Downs - May 5th, 2001

Race Name: Kentucky Derby - Grade: 1
    Off at: 6:11 Race Type: Stakes
    Age Restriction: Three Year Old
    Value of Race: $1,112,000
    Distance: One And One Fourth Miles
    Surface Type: Dirt Track Condition: Fast
    Winning Time: 1:59.97
    Pgm Horse Jockey Win Place Show [p]16 Monarchos Jorge F. Chavez 23.00 11.80 8.80
    13 Invisible Ink John R. Velazquez 46.60 21.20
    8 Congaree Victor Espinoza 7.20 [p]Also ran: 4 - Thunder Blitz,17 - Point Given,15 - Jamaican Rum, 9 - A P Valentine, 6 - Express Tour, 5 - Fifty Stars, 12 - Startac, 2 - Millennium Wind, 7 - Arctic Boy, 1 - Songandaprayer, 3 - Balto Star,10 - Dollar Bill, 14 - Keats,11 - Talk Is Money

Wager Type Winning Numbers Payoff
    $2 Pick 3 2-1-16 (3 correct) 515.00 [p]$1 Pick 6 5 OF 6 (5 correct) 117.20 [p]$1 Pick 6 5-1/2-2/8-2-1-16 (6 correct) 16,245.50 [p]$2 Daily Double DERBY/OAKS 9-16 79.20 [p]$2 Exacta 16-13 1,229.00 [p]$2 MONARCHOS - POOL 1 36.40 [p]$2 MONARCHOS - POOL 2 13.00 [p]$2 MONARCHOS - POOL 3 15.80 [p]$1 Superfecta 16-13-8-4 62,986.90 [p]$2 Trifecta 16-13-8 12,238.40 [p]
    Winning Breeder: J. D. Squires
    Winning Owner: John C. Oxley
    Winning Trainer: John T. Ward, Jr. [p]

• WessB
    RhumAndJerk,
    LOL...dont think Sally wants to hear that line yet.....lets get her used to my large egg first..[p]Wess

• RhumAndJerk
    WessB,
    His and Hers egging will come in due time.
    And then there was KennyG’s wife that asked me if he really wanted a mini egg to go with his large and small Eggs.[p]Heeee.
    RhumAndJerk
    [p]

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, talk about a answer..that was great. My e.s.p. told me before the race that a unknown would win it..I should take up horse race betting..BTW, one of our BGE posters is in the race horse business..is that Gretl??
    C~W

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    I do not know who that would be. The best that I can come up with is that sometimes I eat like a horse.
    R&J

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    WessB,[p]I learned long ago that you'll get just as much grief asking permission as you will for forgiveness. That's why I go for the latter. When the mini arrived a few days ago, the wife said that if I bring home any more cookers, she's gonna leave me. Damn I'll miss her hehehehe[p]Thanx for signing my mini box![p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    KennyG, I bet there would be a fast garage sale except for the green ones...heeeeeyaaa.
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, you have to be on a fast track (pun) to keep up with ST and Cornfed in that race.."eat like a horse" :-)

• RhumAndJerk
    Char-Woody,
    Dibs on the TEC
    HEEEEEE
    R&J[p]

• WessB
    KennyG,
    LOL...I hear ya bud....and I was more than glad to sign the box, sorry you werent there..we had planned on getting a lot of others to sign also..but we started that signin thing before the eggs were even on site...[p]Wess

• Char-Woody
    RhumAndJerk, Your closer..watch for signs...:-)