Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Head's Up- National Brisket Day, Sunday May 28th 2023-time to give it a go!

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,333
edited May 2023 in EggHead Forum
Reads almost the same as 2022-and edited for clarification.
Thought I would toss out an alertment (after getting poked by @lkapigian =) ) so that everyone has time to find, thaw or give the cow a practice run.  Above all, have fun.  Always remember-the friggin cow drives the cook. Here's to finding the proverbial "feels like buttah" outcome.
Do have one wet aging so this will be perfect timing. 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I have a SRF gold waiting in the freezer!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    Options
    Time to haul it out, start the thaw and elevate the anticipation. 
    Great eats right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Just going to rocks some Costco Brisket and Plate Ribs,think I may have enough trimmings in the freezer for Brisket Sausage 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I received a new gasket from @RRP that I need to install so I will be ready to go for a 2nd brisket on this sacred day.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Bump to page one for continued planning purposes.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I have two briskets in the freezer from young grass fed cows.  I believe combined the whole briskets weigh a total of 11 lb.  When doing my freezer transfer I noticed the cryo pack has failed on both of them.  They will be going straight into some sort of crock pot stew recipe very soon. Perhaps I will try to smoke them for brisket chili for the 28th. That date does feel like memorial day ish.  It's possible I will be occupied at the campground.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Cooking 3 as we speak to compare the franklin, goldees and blacks rubs to pick my winner for the long weekend.

also trying the blacks method of smoking for a few hours in my offset, wrap and refrigerate overnight and then finish the next day on the Kamado.

the argument is similar to cold smoked cheese where the wrap helps the smoke mellow and penetrate so we will see… at worst, makes it easier to have it done for dinner tomorrow 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Cooking 3 as we speak to compare the franklin, goldees and blacks rubs to pick my winner for the long weekend.

also trying the blacks method of smoking for a few hours in my offset, wrap and refrigerate overnight and then finish the next day on the Kamado.

the argument is similar to cold smoked cheese where the wrap helps the smoke mellow and penetrate so we will see… at worst, makes it easier to have it done for dinner tomorrow 

I should expect a youtube on this great experiment soon?? Yes, would be a great answer!
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I should expect a youtube on this great experiment soon?? Yes, would be a great answer!
    Oh ya. My family of 4 won’t eat three briskets so 100% sharing the results in a video 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Bump to page one as it should be.
  • ColtsFan
    Options

Ready!

• lkapigian
    Options
  • lkapigian
    Options

Trimmed and On Salt overnight , trimmings for Brisket Sausage … all choice , but will be just fine 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I'm here to tell ya- when cooked right (key phrase) the differences in the brisket grade (never have done select) between a good choice, prime, and SRF black are tough to discern especially with the consumer. With the mail order deal you can't eyeball the cut.  You can definitely score a great cut priced at below the grade it presents. 
    Should you win the lottery and move to SRF Gold then that is apparent.  No Q judge here...FWIW
    Happy Friday-
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm here to tell ya- when cooked right (key phrase) the differences in the brisket grade (never have done select) between a good choice, prime, and SRF black are tough to discern especially with the consumer. With the mail order deal you can't eyeball the cut.  You can definitely score a great cut priced at below the grade it presents. 
    Should you win the lottery and move to SRF Gold then that is apparent.  No Q judge here...FWIW
    Happy Friday-
    Did a Gold last year , almost to rich for my blood , and you are very correct , execution is key 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    T-1 day til Showtime.  Time to get the prereqs executed for the big day!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Game on early Sunday AM. No target delivery time.  Bonus-as I will enjoy whenever I get the brisket across the finish-line. 
    The local small staffed fire house will get a majority of the output.  As it should be. 
    Brisket cooks-the most fun and audibles you can find an a BGE. 
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    On! Guests are coming over at noon tomorrow. The flameboss will babysit for me tonight. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    Pickled Red Onions Getting Ready 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @ColtsFan - that is some fine looking bark on that hunk of brisket gold.  Enjoy the banquet. 
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    @lousubcap thank you, sir. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ColtsFan - that is some fine looking bark on that hunk of brisket gold.  Enjoy the banquet. 
    I concur!! Beautiful!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    Options
    lkapigian said:

It took me a few seconds for my eyes to adjust and for my brain to fully grasp what is going on here.  I am speechless.  I am without words.  The pic almost puts me in a meet coma.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    That bark @ColtsFan

Very Nice!
    Grand Rapids MI
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options