Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kefir—Any thoughts

Jstroke
Jstroke Posts: 2,600
Thought I would ask the crew. Anyone one making it regularly or using it regularly. Any observations thoughts or experiences over the long haul. Long story short, my good old mother keeps “reminding” me to try it. It isn’t bad taste wise. Just wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I drink the store bought stuff regularly in the evenings. I think it help me sleep. I love the carbonated/fermented flavor. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I drink store bought regularly also.  Along with fermented veggies and stuff.   Really helped me with stomach issues.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm a fan. Our grocery stores stock Lifeway brand, which is pretty good.

I make yogurt every once in a while, but not often,  as HEB has a great Bulgarian yogurt that tastes like what my mom used to make. 

Pinging @lkapigian... I believe he dabbles in the homemade yogurt game. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    I'm a beginner in yogurt making using IP, could use some expert tips, perhaps @lkapigian can start a new yogurt thread so as not to hijack this thread?
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    lactobacillus bacteria  Is all you u need to know. From Yogurt to Peppers , the Guy health Bacteria is amazing … rock should me whole milk and a stater culture , you’ll have Yogurt 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    lkapigian said:
    ...the Guy health Bacteria is amazing … rock should me whole milk and a stater culture , you’ll have Yogurt 
    wat?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Botch said:
    lkapigian said:
    ...the Guy health Bacteria is amazing … rock should me whole milk and a stater culture , you’ll have Yogurt 
    wat?  
    The gut health bacteria is amazing. Just start with whole milk and a starter culture, you'll have yogurt.
  • Legume
    @Jstroke did you say in the other thread that you've quit vegetables?  
  • Jstroke
    Thanks for all the reply’s 

@Legume, you are correct.  No veg since Thanksgiving. I tried reintroducing a couple of times. It gave me some wicked gas so I quit. I’m pretty sure that ship has sailed.
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    Makes u poop alot alot
  • lkapigian
    edited May 2023
    Jstroke said:

@Legume, you are correct.  No veg since Thanksgiving. I tried reintroducing a couple of times. It gave me some wicked gas so I quit. I’m pretty sure that ship has sailed.
    That’s to bad about the veggies, there are ways to get Lactobacilli like Kefir , Yoghurt etc curious if fermented veggies have the same affect on you as much by adding more healthy bacteria to your gut 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jstroke
    lkapigian said:
    Jstroke said:

That’s to bad about the veggies, there are ways to get Lactobacilli like Kefir , Yoghurt etc curious if fermented veggies have the same affect on you as much by adding more healthy bacteria to your gut 
    It is an interesting thought. I will try it. Thanks for the suggestion. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    caliking said:

I make yogurt every once in a while, but not often,  as HEB has a great Bulgarian yogurt that tastes like what my mom used to make. 

If that's the stuff from Austin, we can find it here occasionally.  I'm a fan.

NOLA
  • lkapigian
    Botch said:
    lkapigian said:
    wat?  
    Gut Health, spell check lol, whole milk , starter culture you’ll get yoghurt 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    lkapigian said:
    Botch said:
    lkapigian said:
    wat?  

Used to make yogurt years ago in one of those incubator kits with set of mini jars, what a pain cleaning, sterilising, filling those little suckers.

Started making it again late last year in IP, finally got a chance to use the spare inner pot and pristine gasket. Game changer.

And speaking of gut health, I stopped taking probiotic tabs for regular 'movements'  :)

Conventional wisdom says save a couple of TBS to use as starter for the next batch, problem is it loses potency after multiple generations.

To save on expensive starters (yes I'm a cheap a**), or avoid the hassle of buying yogurt with active culture as starter, here's what works well for me: 
    Start a batch with a good commercial starter, seal and freeze most of it in little pouches. As each stream loses its potency, withdraw a new Gen 1 starter from the 'sperm' bank  =)

Apology to OP for thread jacking, I don't have a clue if there is such a thing as propagating kefir grains?
    canuckland
  • Jstroke
    @Canugghead, all good sir. I appreciate the tips for yogurt. I will probably try both. You can “create” kefir grains, but from what I gather it is fairly laborious. I will start with either donated or bought.
  • caliking
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

I think it is.

• caliking
    lkapigian said:
    Botch said:
    lkapigian said:
    wat?  

Used to make yogurt years ago in one of those incubator kits with set of mini jars, what a pain cleaning, sterilising, filling those little suckers.

Started making it again late last year in IP, finally got a chance to use the spare inner pot and pristine gasket. Game changer.

And speaking of gut health, I stopped taking probiotic tabs for regular 'movements'  :)

Conventional wisdom says save a couple of TBS to use as starter for the next batch, problem is it loses potency after multiple generations.

To save on expensive starters (yes I'm a cheap a**), or avoid the hassle of buying yogurt with active culture as starter, here's what works well for me: 
    Start a batch with a good commercial starter, seal and freeze most of it in little pouches. As each stream loses its potency, withdraw a new Gen 1 starter from the 'sperm' bank  =)

Apology to OP for thread jacking, I don't have a clue if there is such a thing as propagating kefir grains?
    Excellent idea!

Eating some yogurt with active cultures, and/or lacto-fermented veg does wonders for gut health.

• Canugghead
    what the gut doc says  =)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lkapigian said:
    If you do your own lacto fermentation, hang on to the brine , just as good as eating fermented foods and you can use it to jump start other ferments , even Salami 
    I have occasionally done a shot of brine.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    lkapigian said:
    If you do your own lacto fermentation, hang on to the brine , just as good as eating fermented foods and you can use it to jump start other ferments , even Salami 
    https://youtu.be/lXdx8xX9hU4
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Store bought every AM.  Kids love it too, with granola.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    kl8ton said:
    lkapigian said:
    Lol!  Never seen that episode.
  • lkapigian
    kl8ton said:
    lkapigian said:
    Lol!  Never seen that episode.
    Jameson Shot with a Pickle Brine Shot Chaser called a Pickle Back , excellent 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I've been enjoying Lifeway kefir for a few months now and I honestly feel it has made a difference (positive) in my overall wellbeing. I get it at the local supermarket, although it's sometimes hard to find the whole milk version -- most people seem to prefer the low fat kind.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • caliking
    As an aside, I use kefir as a substitute for buttermilk in things like biscuits, etc. The Lifeway kefir lasts a while, so I'm far more likely to have some on hand vs. buttermilk.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
    As an aside, I use kefir as a substitute for buttermilk in things like biscuits, etc. The Lifeway kefir lasts a while, so I'm far more likely to have some on hand vs. buttermilk.
    Substitutions in a recipe!?  Who exactly do you think you are?
  • Legume
    How much do you all drink daily?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    caliking said:
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

I think it is.

Yep, that's it.  Great stuff.
    NOLA