Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you Use your Mini BGE???

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am fortunate to own a small and large BGE. I am thinking of getting a mini. I thought that I could take it to work from time to time and use it on trips. Do any of you who own a mini and at least one other egg have any thoughts about this? I would hate to spend the money only to see that it never gets used a year from now.[p]JNK

Comments

• Gene613
    Gene613 Posts: 53
    Options
    JNK,
    We have a large and a mini. Gene brings the mini to work with him sometimes and we use it when we are cooking something small. We cook on the mini when we are cooking chops or something like that that will fit. We also like the fact that if we ever go anywhere (like his parents) it is portable enough to bring with us and not miss haveing egged food!!!

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    JNK,
    I have a large and a mini. While the mini doesn't get used near as much as the large it does get used. I fire it up when cooking just for me when the wife and son aren't around. It makes more sense to fire it up then the large.[p]Kelly

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JNK,
    We have mini, small and large. Small gets the lion's share of use, followed by the mini. Large gets used for company, baking, etc. I wouldn't trade any of 'em.[p]Ken

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    JNK,[p]Use it as much as I use my Large! Handy little critter.
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    JNK,[p]I have a mini and an XL (Ok, I am prone to extremes). Last night I baked potatoes (both Irish and sweet on the mini). This weekend I used it to sear 3 tri-tips before moving them over to the XL to finish. The mini is great for up to four burgers or a couple of steaks. I bought the mini for travel and when cooking for just the two of us. I use the XL a lot as I have family and friends nearby and give away a lot and also cook and freeze. Sometimes I wish I had a small or large to fit in between the two I have.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BOBF,[p] Next to my XL, my small looks like a mini :) I am still young enough to lift my small and carry it short distances, but if I ever get to the point I can't..well that is what my kids are for.. :)[p] Mini is cute though..
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    JNK,[p]I've only used my Large once since getting my mini. I have a spouse and two girls 7 and 9, all of which typically prefer small meat (chicken pieces, pork chops, hot dogs, burgers, etc.) to big meat (roasts, 1.5" thick NY strips, etc.). Hence my mini is getting used more. It has the added benefit that I can put it directly outside my patio door so I don't have to go outside to cook - I just open the door and flip!!![p]Next on my list is a small, but I have to generate significant amounts of wealth before I can justify buying a 3rd egg to my wife![p]My main purpose for getting the mini was to cook myself steaks when the family wants non-egged food (pasta, Shepard's Pie, etc.) It excels at searing steaks, and cooks down quickly to roasting temps.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • BOBF
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]The main reason we got the mini was my wife saw them at Octoberfest and thought they were cute. I like it though. Still would like to have one more - probably a small. Regardless of what you get, you have to love them. Sorta like your children.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BOBF,[p] I am "supposed" to love my children!!! Well dayum!!![p]Good thang I have six of them critters then.. :)[p]
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    JNK, Look's like I'm the only one that doesn't use his mini. I have a large, small and mini. I'm sad to say that I haven't used my mini for a year.
    Scott

• BOBF
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]You "have" to love them. You don't always have to "like" them. We have two children (they have done pretty well), but I think I can handle more than two BGE's. Amazing though how the grandchildren turned out so well.

• Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,[p]Hehe...reading my post you'd think I mothballed my large, but I only got my mini 10 days ago and I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Don't bother sending offers to purchase as it is going nowhere!!! I'll be getting home early from work tomorrow so I'll probably be doing a beer butt chicken for dinner after seeing these shots!!! [p]<a href=http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/351202.shtml>Sensational-looking Beer Butt Chicken</a>[p]Ottawa_egger
  • eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    JNK,
    I have a mini that i use all of the time. great portable setup.

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    JNK,
    i too am sad to say that i have a mini,,, and hardly ever use it compared to my large....if i get another egg, it'd be a small or probably a medium.