Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Size 4 or 8qt?

Options
Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About ready to buy a Dutch Oven for the egg. I have a large. Should I get a 4 or 8qt? thanks.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ, if limited to one, get the 8 quart. Also, consider whether you want the "feet" or not. I find the feet do not sit well on a grill. It is fine if you're always using a platesetter. My 8 qt has no feet (i.e. smooth bottom) and works well on the grill. I've also found that if you use the little ceramic feet that came with your EGG under the dutch oven on a platesetter, you really have no problem with hot spots on the bottom.

• Gene613
    Gene613 Posts: 53
    Options
    IMO I would go larger just in case! I hate buying something using it a few times then come to find out I need a bigger one for something else.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p]I've got a Lodge 7 qt. It works great on my medium. Although its really heavy, I think I should have bought the 9 qt, because not everything I've wanted to use it for fit well. For instance, a large chuck roast. I'd go with the larger size.[p]gdenby

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,[p] My arsenal of Dutch Ovens starts at a 4 gt and works it way to the 9qt.[p] If you can afford both, get both. I use my 4 qt for desserts like cobblers and such. The bigger ovens get used for meats, beans, corn bread and such.[p] I wouldn't get the Camp Dutch Ovens if you never plan on using them in an open fire. The Camp Dutch Oven is the one with the feet.[p] The regular ones sit nicely on the grate or the little ceramic feet.[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    Buster Dog BBQ,
    mine has the legs but both work fine, my lecreusset has no legs and its the one i use the most. if your getting the lodge, the 8 quart deep will fit a pot roast. make sure to get the "deep" version

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it