Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deboning a Whole Turkey

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
This popped up on my video feed tonight; its the completely wrong time of year to post this but I'll probably never see it again so its worth posting now.  
I've never deboned a whole raw bird before; I've watched Jacques Pepín do it on video a few times.  I've tried doing so just with cheekun thighs, but end up with a grotesque mess.  I currently pay the extra dollar or so to buy skinless deboned thighs at the market.  
Here, Adam Ragusea debones an entire turkey, and I don't know if its his explanation, or the camera angles, but so much of it makes more sense to me, now.  I'd like to try this again, starting out with just a cheekun first (and cooking a whole turkey for one ends up with food fatigue anyway, even freezing some of it).  FWIW.

https://youtu.be/peeRWHI7FpY

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Definitely a different process than Jacques Pepin and his chix video linked here:
    Paging @Canugghead as I am sure he has deboned a turkey, chix and duck for his Turducken feast.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I watch this video (Pepin) a few times before attempting to debone a chicken.  It takes a bit of practice.  I may have been down to 6 minutes deboning and my results were becoming somewhat acceptable.  I really enjoy cooking the whole deboned bird and slicing it like a loaf when down.  The dark meat and white meat all getting happy together in one tightly secured "roast" is magical.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Since white and dark meat cook to different temps, do you precook the dark meat at all before making the roll?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Botch said:
    Since white and dark meat cook to different temps, do you precook the dark meat at all before making the roll?  
    No.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Adam Ragusa is the hero we don't deserve.  I love his videos.

Also love Jamie&Julie (now the Anti-Chef) videos too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Definitely a different process than Jacques Pepin and his chix video linked here:
    Paging @Canugghead as I am sure he has deboned a turkey, chix and duck for his Turducken feast.

Thanks for the nudge cap  :)
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1226776/turducken/p1

Big different between Pepin and Ragusea in how they butcher the bird, granted chicken is smaller and more tender...
    - Pepin limits the use of knife to cutting joints, slicing meat to expose bones and scraping meat off the bone, uses his fingers often to separate meat from bone.
    - Ragusea OTOH slashes and gashes left, right and centre, the knife almost never left his hand. Left too much meat on the bones.

canuckland