Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: What’s Up With Ooni?

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    its either a new one with a rotating turntable, or... a griddle.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    I heard it will be HOT. 

<rimshot>
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • CTMike
    caliking said:
    its either a new one with a rotating turntable, or... a griddle.
    I was thinking a turntable type oven as well. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Maybe they’re chasing Gozney again, and will debut something closer to a full sized oven.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    First Uuni (nka Ooni) portable pizza oven - 2012
    Roccbox release - 2016

Who is chasing who? :)

I'm predicting it will be a rechargeable battery powered portable oven - looks like it has a handle in the teaser pix.

Easy to carry. Rechargeable at any EV vehicle charging station - 10 minute charge is enough power for 30 pizzas.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    HeavyG said:
    Roccbox release - 2016

I'm predicting it will be a rechargeable battery powered portable oven - looks like it has a handle in the teaser pix.

Easy to carry. Rechargeable at any EV vehicle charging station - 10 minute charge is enough power for 30 pizzas.
    I didn’t think the original Uuni’s were gas powered, only wood or pellet.  I think the Roccbox was the first one that was duel-fueled, but I could be wrong.

• CTMike
    edited March 2023
    HeavyG said:
    Roccbox release - 2016

I didn’t think the original Uuni’s were gas powered, only wood or pellet.  I think the Roccbox was the first one that was duel-fueled, but I could be wrong.

Duel-fueled 😎😎 I’m picturing two guys in Weehawken at dawn, one armed with kerosene, the other with gasoline. Pretty sure you meant “dual-fueled.”

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    CTMike said:
    HeavyG said:
    Roccbox release - 2016

Duel-fueled 😎😎 I’m picturing two guys in Weehawken at dawn, one armed with kerosene, the other with gasoline. Pretty sure you meant “dual-fueled.”
    I did, but now that I think of it, a duel would be cooler!
  • danhoo
    Double Decker Dual fuel. New product name the Duuli. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    danhoo said:
    "Did you use the propane deck on top or the pellet deck on the bottom?"

"it's an upper decker"
  • danhoo
    Legume said:
    danhoo said:
    "Did you use the propane deck on top or the pellet deck on the bottom?"

"it's an upper decker"
    Dual fuel is matchlight briquettes and duraflame slices. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    CTMike said:
    HeavyG said:
    Roccbox release - 2016

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CTMike
    Acn said:
    CTMike said:
    HeavyG said:
    Roccbox release - 2016

I was hoping someone would get my reference. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I got a sneak peek:

Clinton, Iowa
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    a pizza iron?
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • JohnInCarolina
    LOL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    they claim it's 'World-class innovation', lol

canuckland
  • CTMike
    Yah, I am definitely underwhelmed, especially at that price. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Legume
    I was hoping for sous vide pizza maker with really big bags.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Lame
    A friggin thousand dollar toaster oven.  
  • HeavyG
    So... not rechargeable then. Disappointing.

The price seems to be in the same neighborhood as the Breville. And the Breville gets pretty decent reviews.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Hard pass, especially at $1k. I imagine these will not sell well...
  • JohnInCarolina
    HeavyG said:

The price seems to be in the same neighborhood as the Breville. And the Breville gets pretty decent reviews.

I like the Amazon review that reads "It’s a nice appliance if you’re rich" 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

The price is kinda steep (but what isn't these days eh?) and I wouldn't be surprised if they go on sale in a few months.

The Serious Eats review of the Breville was quite approving. One thing about the Ooni Volt has that might address one of the concerns they had with the Breville is the balance control between the top and bottom heating elements. We'll see of course once the Volts are out in the wild.

• JohnInCarolina
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

The price is kinda steep (but what isn't these days eh?) and I wouldn't be surprised if they go on sale in a few months.

Can you really make an argument for someone here on this forum purchasing this thing instead of one of the other, portable gas-fired ovens that are available and much less expensive?  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    just buy two to make two pies at the same time........
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

Can you really make an argument for someone here on this forum purchasing this thing instead of one of the other, portable gas-fired ovens that are available and much less expensive?  

How long have you been on this forum?? You know d@mn well that someone will buy one and  post a thread, after which 20 others will dive in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    I could get a mini max with a couple of accessories for that.