Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Twinkies From Fozen

Options

I have made these several times now.  They take a bunch of effort, so I wanted to preprep them.  After wrapping them in bacon, I vac sealed them and put them in the freezer.  For science, I wanted to see if I could grill them straight from frozen.  Meat church cooks them unfrozen for 90 minutes @250°F.  I went with 300°F for 90 minutes.  Essentially you’re just looking for the bacon to cook.

Texas Twinkies:
smoked cream cheese
Leftover brisket
12ish jalapeños
bacon (2 slices per jalapeño)

green egg
thawed: indirect 250°F, 90 minutes
from frozen: indirect 300°F, 90 minutes

Hat tip Meat Church
https://youtu.be/S52hv2vwSuk

Comments

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    how were they? Did the frozen ones crisp up the jalapeño?  They look good!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited December 2022
    Options
    If they are already cooked/smoked, I sous vide them at a water temp of 50* to defrost and then they hit the air fryer!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Skims_Smokehouse
    Options
    how were they? Did the frozen ones crisp up the jalapeño?  They look good!
    They were excellent- accolades coming from everyone who tried them.  Only the bacon was crispy.  I did the step where you smoke the jalapeños for 30 minutes to make them pliable.  So crunchy on the outside, soft and delicious on the inside.
  • Skims_Smokehouse
    Options
    Hotch said:
    If they are already cooked/smoked, I sous vide them at a water temp of 50* to defrost and then they hit the air fryer!

Oh nice, how long does this take?  My method still takes 2 hours from frozen to preheat the egg and do the cook.  It would be nice to reduce it further.