Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ever had one of those head slapping moments?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
You know the brain fart types “of what was I thinking or not thinking?”

Recently there was a thread about ACE hardware coupons…I get them every month and most times throw them out since I seldom meet the threshold purchase level of $20 at one visit…then I had one of those head slapping moments of “well you dumb sh*t”: go buy some Rockwood lump! And so I did today using that $7 off coupon.

Of course just so I don’t come across as a total fool, then you older eggers here might recall I always kept anywhere from 550 to 700 pounds of lump in storage! In just the past couple years as I approach turning 80 I figure my lump hoarding days just ought to slow down!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    @RRP you ought to throw in a free bag of Rockwood when folks buy new gaskets!

BTW my Large gasket you sold me like 5 years ago is still going strong. Keep it up.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • ksmyrl said:
    @RRP you ought to throw in a free bag of Rockwood when folks buy new gaskets!

BTW my Large gasket you sold me like 5 years ago is still going strong. Keep it up.
    Same here. For anyone considering a Rutland, I strongly recommend. Great mod. 
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    I use the Ace coupons for Rockwood pretty much every time I go in there.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    I used to get $7 coupons, now I only get $5 coupons.  Also, all three Aces near me that carry Rockwood have different prices.  They range from $25.99 - $28.99.  Interesting enough, the shop with $28.99 also has the highest tax rate.  I only go there if I am in a pinch and all other shops are sold out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I used to get $7 coupons, now I only get $5 coupons.  Also, all three Aces near me that carry Rockwood have different prices.  They range from $25.99 - $28.99.  Interesting enough, the shop with $28.99 also has the highest tax rate.  I only go there if I am in a pinch and all other shops are sold out.
    If you order directly from Rockwood with the Halloween 10% sale it’s only $35 per bag with free shipping.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    BTW- the Rockwood Halloween sale expires tonight at Midnight EDT.  Here's the discount code-
    10% sale with the code "HALLOWEEN10".
    No affiliation here but you can'y beat its performance.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That sounds like my local Lowes. Every item is $1 more compared to Home Depot and Menards. I stop in when in a pinch and only for a few items. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,183
    edited November 2022
    @lousubcap

Solid endorsement. I’ve only ever heard good things about it, so I’m guessing “Rockwood” isn’t a list of ingredients. 

Do you use lump in the Santa Maria?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    @lousubcap

Solid endorsement. I’ve only ever heard good things about it, so I’m guessing “Rockwood” isn’t a list of ingredients. 

Rockwood generic is Slidenafil.  You can use it in Maria.  Or you can use splits.  I prefer splits.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    @lousubcap

Rockwood generic is Slidenafil.  You can use it in Maria.  Or you can use splits.  I prefer splits.
    QUIT confusing me! I thought generic Rookwood was called Kroger Blue Bag Knuckles! 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    ...I’m guessing “Rockwood” isn’t a list of ingredients....

Actually, the only things I have ever found in a bag of Rockwood is wood and rocks.  Woodrock probably doesn't sound as good, but there is always more wood than rocks.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    @GrateEggspectations - I use splits in the SM and am on the learning curve.  It is definitely  hands-on.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations - I use splits in the SM and am on the learning curve.  It is definitely  hands-on.  
    Have you posted pics of any cooks?  If so, I missed them!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    kl8ton said:
    lousubcap said:
    There was a thread with @HeavyG and @lousubcap cooking on it together.  I can't seem to find it now, but it was epic.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    lousubcap said:
    There was a thread with @HeavyG and @lousubcap cooking on it together.  I can't seem to find it now, but it was epic.
    Are you effing kidding me?!?! FML! I'm quasi interested in the SM rig, but a heavy G pic? Id give my first born for! 

Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2022
    Bump to set up a follow-on post tonight-
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Looks great, I would be intimidated with a brisket cook on that grill. Wonder how a tritip cooked brisket style would be.  Those open grids are made for tritip, chicken parts, ten foot sausage coils, hard to beat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @lousubcap

Great cook and documentation. Thanks for making good on your promise to share (no surprises there). I’ll have to read up about your cooking apparatus before fully appreciating what’s involved with a Santa Maria. More labourious than a stick-burner sounds like a major con - until you consider it means more escape time for doing what you love. Hope this post was the first in a series about your new toy (surely it is more than worthy of a standalone thread or two). 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    lousubcap said:
    As promised on Nov 2nd (above) today was the the day.  Weather drove it to Monday.
    The opening-

Feeding fire on the right-cooking fire on the left.  Trimmed out commodity Costco Choice (all they have had around here for months) at 11.7 lbs.  
    As mentioned in another thread my Meater $hit the bed for the first time today-not good.
    Closing in on the finish-

Now time to foil wrap as I figured paper would end up face-to-face with the local Fire Department.  

Out of the foil and resting but not for too long as this cook was a certified a$$ whipping.  Makes a stick burner run look easy.
    Here it is on the board before slicing-

And now the $$ shot-

I figured that all I needed to do was nail the finish feel.  However I did have some adhere to the cooking grate and also in the foil.  (I figured a BP wrap would bring the local fire department).  
    Have no plans to do this again but glad it turned out well.
    Thanks for lookin'.  

Brother Lou, and Father Frank, you may have just shown us the face of God.  That is astounding!  Please, this deserves a dedicated thread with the deets on the cooker, wood, process, etc.  Probably one of the best cooks from 2022.
  • Nice pictures @lousubcap
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    lousubcap said:
    As promised on Nov 2nd (above) today was the the day.  Weather drove it to Monday.
    The opening-

Feeding fire on the right-cooking fire on the left.  Trimmed out commodity Costco Choice (all they have had around here for months) at 11.7 lbs.  
    As mentioned in another thread my Meater $hit the bed for the first time today-not good.
    Closing in on the finish-

Now time to foil wrap as I figured paper would end up face-to-face with the local Fire Department.  

Out of the foil and resting but not for too long as this cook was a certified a$$ whipping.  Makes a stick burner run look easy.
    Here it is on the board before slicing-

And now the $$ shot-

I figured that all I needed to do was nail the finish feel.  However I did have some adhere to the cooking grate and also in the foil.  (I figured a BP wrap would bring the local fire department).  
    Have no plans to do this again but glad it turned out well.
    Thanks for lookin'.  

Brother Lou, and Father Frank, you may have just shown us the face of God.  That is astounding!  Please, this deserves a dedicated thread with the deets on the cooker, wood, process, etc.  Probably one of the best cooks from 2022.
    Oh, man, do I agree! This whole follow up post needs its own light in a day! Come on buddy….PLEASE start a new thread and repost your pictures etc etc!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    This is the best kind of crazy.
  • kl8ton
    @lousubcap

Great cook right there! And yes, it certainly deserves it's own OT thread but I'm the non OT forum.
    Grand Rapids MI