Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey - Stuff with food while cooking or no

Options
EggHeadQ
EggHeadQ Posts: 7
edited November 2022 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, this is more of a Ford v Chevy debate.  I am doing our first Thanksgiving Turkey this year on our egg and was wondering while cooking it, should I place other food, (lemons, oranges, garlic etc) in the cavity while cooking it. I have heard good and bad for both.

Thanks,
Thanks,

Q

Large BGE | BlackStone Pro Series | Columbia, Missouri

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Stuffing it adds mass and cooks slower , not a fan of "dressing" stuffed in the cavity , but will do onions apple etc 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Another vote for loosely tossing in aromatics like small chunks of lemon, apple, orange etc.  FWIW- Been tossing them in for over 4 decades of Q ing the turkey.  (not all on the BGE).  Never have had any issues or complaints.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Another vote for loosely tossing in aromatics like small chunks of lemon, apple, orange etc.  FWIW- Been tossing them in for over 4 decades of Q ing the turkey.  (not all on the BGE).  Never have had any issues or complaints.  
    This is the way to go.  We usually do onion, apple, and some rosemary and/or thyme sprigs.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    i do the bread stuffing in the oven bird, not in an egged bird.  the egg bird gets some smoke and some onion and apple quarters, and a bottle white wine, its about the gravy for me, i dont think it does much for the bird itself
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    with regards to bread stuffing in the bird or dressing done outside the bird, i have no use for dressing. jimmy dean and bread stuffing with onion and celery and bells seasoning stuffed in the bird, safety be damned.  makes for a better sandwich later on as well.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited November 2022
    Options
    nothing wrong with a few aromatics in the cavity.  Dressing should be cooked in a pan though.  Safer and easier to cook correctly.  
  • Yard Bird
    Options
    Just make sure you chop the potatoes, apples, onions finely enough to fill the Turkey cavity with the fewest amount of voids.
    This will keep the Turkey moist and cooking more evenly throughout the smoking process.
    Also, a pan on the plate setter filled with your liquid of choice (I know what mine is!) set below the bird keeps the bird cooking evenly and retains moisture

• marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    Options
    Not in the bird. But cook the stuffing with a full cup of schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) and it’ll be super moist and flavorful, just like it was in the bird. 
  • EggHeadQ
    Options
    Yard Bird said:
    Just make sure you chop the potatoes, apples, onions finely enough to fill the Turkey cavity with the fewest amount of voids.
    This will keep the Turkey moist and cooking more evenly throughout the smoking process.
    Also, a pan on the plate setter filled with your liquid of choice (I know what mine is!) set below the bird keeps the bird cooking evenly and retains moisture

What’s your liquid of choice?
    Thanks,

Q

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    In the method I used ... slightly altered Mad Max Turkey method ... cavity is stuffed with apples, onions, carrots and lemon ... but then given a good dose of white wine.  I think the white wine is probably the most impressive addition and influence on flavor.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • EggHeadQ
    Options
    ohhhh lordy.  Sorry finally getting back to writing to everyone!  The Turkey on the egg turned out perfect!!  I stuffed the cavity with some rosemary, lemons and oranges.  The drip tray consisted of more lemons, oranges, some miller lite and some bourbon.  I refilled the tray probably half way through just to make sure there was enough moisture in the egg.  I absolutely loved doing and will do it again.  Thank you all again!
    Thanks,

Q

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @EggHeadQ - great news right there.  Way to bring it home.  But even more impressive is circling back and letting all know how it went.  
    The great majority of queries become a one-off with many valuable responses but never a return serve as to what was done/used and how it went.  
    So, many thanks and appreciated.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I think it needs to be mandatory that if anyone posts a thread on thanksgiving turkey, they need to follow up with photos.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!