Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tormek's new kitchen-knife sharpener

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,487
edited November 2022 in EggHead Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlr5P6Z2L8A

Sweet design, eye-watering price.  Sadly it has the same issue that my Trizor sharpener has: if your knife has a thicker bolster that extends to the heel tip of the blade, it limits the sharpening at the heel end of the edge.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That is pretty cool. I’ve been considering moving away from my work sharp Ken onion for no other reason than to try something new. I may be the forum Guinea pig on this one. Read some reviews this afternoon and everyone had great things to say about it. Just got the wife lady a fancy new 6” Kramer chefs knife today and I have the 8” in the same knife. Somehow it does not feel right to run these on a belt (although it works very well). I also have to tape all the blades we run through the WSK0 or the dust from the abrasives will etch the blades as you pull through.  

Stay tuned. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I have a Tormek T-4 for sharpening my chisels, bowl gouges, etc, but it isn’t that great on kitchen knives. Excellent product, and am adding this to my Christmas list.  
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I have a Tormek T-4 for sharpening my chisels, bowl gouges, etc, but it isn’t that great on kitchen knives. 
    Thanks for that input, Mike.  I had already been doing the mental math in my head this afternoon, for just triple the price I could get a T-8 system in my shop, for chisels, plane blades, and drillbits, and my kitchen knives, and avoid this kitchen-only model.  
    But, I've invested in a nice set of diamond plates recently, and 30 years ago I'd already flattened my chisel backs, plane iron backs, AND plane bodies on various Jap waterstones and/or sandpaper/plateglass, and that only has to be done once; regrinding the bevels on any of them takes only minutes on diamond plates, and I already have them.  No need in my life for a Tormek; regardless of how "damn-need-one" sexay they are... 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Botch said:
    CTMike said:
    I have a Tormek T-4 for sharpening my chisels, bowl gouges, etc, but it isn’t that great on kitchen knives. 
    Thanks for that input, Mike.  I had already been doing the mental math in my head this afternoon, for just triple the price I could get a T-8 system in my shop, for chisels, plane blades, and drillbits, and my kitchen knives, and avoid this kitchen-only model.  
    But, I've invested in a nice set of diamond plates recently, and 30 years ago I'd already flattened my chisel backs, plane iron backs, AND plane bodies on various Jap waterstones and/or sandpaper/plateglass, and that only has to be done once; regrinding the bevels on any of them takes only minutes on diamond plates, and I already have them.  No need in my life for a Tormek; regardless of how "damn-need-one" sexay they are... 
    The T-4 works great on short blades like a paring knife, but for longer blades you have to unclamp the knife from the jig, adjust, and reclamp - makes it hard to get a nice continuous edge along the entire blade. 

This is what I use for the kitchen knives:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    That is pretty cool. I’ve been considering moving away from my work sharp Ken onion for no other reason than to try something new. I may be the forum Guinea pig on this one. Read some reviews this afternoon and everyone had great things to say about it. Just got the wife lady a fancy new 6” Kramer chefs knife today and I have the 8” in the same knife. Somehow it does not feel right to run these on a belt (although it works very well). I also have to tape all the blades we run through the WSK0 or the dust from the abrasives will etch the blades as you pull through.  

Stay tuned. 
    I’ll be awaiting your report @The Cen-Tex Smoker, you got me into the Ken onion , but I like this belt less design , I only use a few knives and sharpen a couple times a year , home keeps them good rest of the time … price point for this is not bad 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Nice sharpener! 

I have the work sharp culinary sharpener.  I hate the belt drive and have had to order "belts" (which are o-rings) several times as they stretch and then cannot drive the belts with enough power to sharpen.  In fact, I need to do that right now as it was slipping the last time I used it.

I would love to own one of these.  The price ($350) doesn't seem out of line for that sharpener, to me.  I think I paid over $200 for the work smart.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    Botch said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlr5P6Z2L8A

Sweet design, eye-watering price.  Sadly it has the same issue that my Trizor sharpener has: if your knife has a thicker bolster that extends to the heel tip of the blade, it limits the sharpening at the heel end of the edge.  

i only have one knife with that bolster, a henkels paring knife. i hate it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it