Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting a Butt

Quick question… how long do y’all let your butts rest before shredding and saucing?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    I depends on how long it will be before we will be eating. If it's a few hours before guest arrive- I wrap in pink butcher paper in place the butt into a cooler and cover with a towel to keep it warm.
    I guest will arrive in a hour of so, I cover the butt with butcher paper and place the butt on the counter to begin cooling off. I will shred it when the guest arrive.
    I'm not sure if this is the info you were seeking.
  • Yes… I’m about to pull one shortly and we’ll eat it ASAP. I just don’t want to mess it up by not resting it for a certain period of time

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Dawgtired said:
    Yes… I’m about to pull one shortly and we’ll eat it ASAP. I just don’t want to mess it up by not resting it for a certain period of time
    I have found that resting the butt in the cooler a couple hours does help it some.
    I don't believe you will be disappointed with the results if you need to pull it sooner- the important thing is to make sure it has cooled enough to handle during pulling- if it's so hot that it's steaming- that's moisture the meat is loosing. That is why you need to let it cool some before pulling. 
  • Thanks! I let it rest for 45 minutes or so, and it was perfect.

Ronald Reagan

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    I rest it only long enough that I can handle it so I don't burn my hands. Even with the shredders, you get pretty close to the meat. I'd say 30 min to 45 min.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!