Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I hate this forum

Options
Bama Egger
Bama Egger Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't stay away. Ya'll are going to get me fired. I don't even own an egg yet and here I am printing recipes and trying to decide what I'll be cooking first.[p]I hope to pick up an egg this weekend. I am really undecided if I should go with the large or extra-large. Family of four with an occasional party. Any advice?

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    Go with the large. You can cook 6 steaks easy. Not to mention other lots of people feed'em type stuff like pulled pork and brisket.[p]Now get back to work!

• ronbeaux, Thanks for the tip. I think I'll go with the large. I just hope I don't regret it. Does the large cook easier or are there any advantages to it being a little smaller?

• Bamma Egger (to be),[p]I bought a large a week ago and absolutely love it!! I have a family of five and it's just the right size. Had five steaks on it last night with room to spare! Good luck to ya!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Bama Egger,[p] Unless you plan on feeding the whole neighborhood or your employer (to save your job) go with the Large. I love my XL, but I use it for Catering.[p]Now do what ronbeaux told you to do and get back to work..
  • beachside311
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    I own an xl, and never once wish I had gotten a smaller size, with a family of five it's great. By the way what part of bama do you like in? I live down in Orange beach.

• Bama Egger
    Options
    Celtic Wolf, Thanks, I'm convinced, large it is. I guess that will save me money to spend on eggcesories. [p]I plan to get the ash tool, a plate setter, grill tool grabber thing, and a v-rack. Any other essentails I should consider?

• Bama Egger
    Options
    beachside311, I am in Tuscaloosa.[p]Roll Tide Roll[p]I'll be in Orange Beach for Memorial Day. We love it down there.

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Bamma Egger (to be),
    It was easy for me because I have cooked on wood/charcoal pits for over 25 years. You won't be disapointed. Plus you can put taller stuff in there like a turkey sitting up, and can add extended grids for multi levels of cooking. It hold enough lump to cook 25 hours if you stuff it full, or you can add just a few pieces and smoke cheese at below 100F. I just can't tell you what all it will do in one post. I did end up getting a small and another ceramic just because of how much I cook.

• Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    Unless someone has already suggested it you will need a Pizza stone very soon, it is an almost indespensible item. Bucky

• ronbeaux
    Options
    BuckyBuckshot,
    And silicone oven mits!

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Bama Egger,[p] Pizza Stone!! Egg Mates. Egg Nest..[p]supplemental health insurance.
  • Bama Egger,[p]I guess I am just used to bigger grills. I have the XL (just got it...still debugging it) and I can't imagine going with anything smaller. I frequently cooked five or six racks of baby back ribs on my old smoker. I don't think I can fit them all on my XL. I have to wait to finish debugging before I try (see my other posts about the bugs).[p]I don't know the price difference, but I can't see any reason other than cost to go with the large.
  • Bucky Buckshot
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Oven mitts, you are absolutely correct. Bucky

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Stephen Tomas,[p] You need to think again. With my Rib Racks I have had 15 in my XL. I could have got more. There have been folks on here that have had 21 on the Large.[p] With the multi-tier racks the Large can cook plenty. [p] As I said I love my XL, even bought a second one, but it's over kills for most households.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    No one has mentioned this yet but I will. Get two Large Eggs. It gives you a lot more versatility when you need it. You can always add an extra large if your crowd becomes too large.[p]Spring "Two Eggs Is Better Than One" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Stephen Tomas,
    I have one of each size except the XL and each has its own unique characteristics. You can cook a ton of food in each BGE if you arrange it right.[p]Here is a quick rundown:
    The Mini is portable and uses almost no charcoal. One coffee can full of lump can last a weeks vacation.
    The Small is great for searing steaks and I think is perfect for one rack of ribs. For many years, this was the only BGE that I owned.
    The Medium gets the most usage, simply because it is there. It does not use as much charcoal as the large
    The Large bakes the best and is easiest to setup as a brick oven. For overnight cooks this is also one of the best. [p]The advantage of multiple eggs is to prepare an entire meal on the BGE. The sides can be cooking at one temp while the meat is cooking at another.
    When you look in someone’s tool box you will see many different screwdrivers. I am sure that you own more than one knife. The point is that the BGE is a cooking tool and the different size can serve different purposes.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p] If two are better then one...where do you stand on five :)[p]I can still here my wife scream, "WHAT THE HAIL DO YOU NEED WITH FIVE EGGS?" She really does say HAIL. She is southern don't you know..[p]Celtic "Wife is covered in diamonds" Wolf.
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Bama Egger, also get a grid extender and possibly one or two extra grids for raised/multilevel cooks.
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Stephen Tomas, You can do that many easily. Rib racks hold them on end instead of flat. I've done 5 racks of baby backs on my large using a multilevel setup.

• Luke Bizzy
    Options
    Bama Egger,
    Getting hooked up with a BGE, eh? Your life expectancy is about to drop, due to all the good eats you'll be cooking up. You probably won't need to drive down to Dreamland much any more. Yeah, BGE is that good. Culinary life and football life are both about to change for you. RTR.

• Thanks to everyone. This place is wonderful and everyone has been so kind.
  • We are very excited about Coach Saban and I hope ribs off my new egg will blow Dreamland away (they do have good sauce though).
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Five is good. But just like children you have to pick four that you don't care for as much as the fifth LOL[p]Spring "Wife Is Covered In Me" Chicken

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p] Humpty and Miss Penny sit on the porch cooking.. I use them about equal. [p]The other three get the Glory of Competition..[p]Celtic "Hoping to beat Dizzy Pig in one category once" Wolf
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    Bamma Egger,
    We'd like to cook coach Saban here!!!

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Yup and it will only get more expensive and time consuming.[p]You will no longer have a 'real' life.
    (or is that 'you will now have a real life')[p]Spacey

• Bama Egger
    Options
    Bama Egger, as for whether to get a large or an XL, my thinking is, should one get a large, or a large and an a medium. If you do the math, the total grill area for a large AND a medium is just a few inches different than that of an XL. Therefore you can cook as much meat at once with both, or you can have two eggs rolling along at differing temps cooking different types of meat. Also, when using just the large, you will be using less charcoal than if the XL was the one being used (although I am not sure if the extra lump burned by the XL is significant). Whatever you go with, if it is sitting on a nest, whenever you roll it, always PULL it and never push it. If the wheels hit a rock when being pushed you're not in position to stop it if it goes to flip over.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    gratenribs.jpg
    <p />Stephen Tomas, here is 6 racks in a large

• Bama Egger,
    i hate this forum too!

• Celtic Wolf,[p]Wow. What kind of rib racks and where did you buy them?!?[p]I stand corrected about the capacity of the smaller grills. I certainly can see a benefit to having multiple eggs for different cooking temps. However, other than $, I don't see why you would buy the large instead of the XL if it was to be your only egg. BTW, I consider "uses less lump" to fall in the category of $.