Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Funny - 21 pound Turkey - Small Egg

Daryl
Daryl Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I instantly fell in love with my Large Egg that I am just learning to use. Today, I bought a small egg to take camping this weekend. The turkey, thawing in the fridge is right at 21 lbs. It sits about 8" tall, and is about 13" long, with it's legs tucked as packed. Just for kicks, I pulled the frozen bird out and tossed it in the small egg. It fits fine. The lid closes completely, and I do not think it touches the shell. My question is this... Why not? The marketing information for the small egg says 10-12 pound turkey. Clearly the Large egg is a better fit.... With the small egg, indirect cooking, and a turkey sitter are clearly out of the question, but, I can't see anything wrong with a slow roast, say about 275F direct, for say... Seven Hours.... Somebody stop me if I am about to embarass myself ;-)[p]

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Daryl,
    You will many responces. My choice is 350* indirect (drip pan) with 20 min per pd as a rule of thumb with 160-170* for the breast meat or 180* for the thigh.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Daryl,
    A butterflied bird works well direct, so I bet you could do a whole turkey on the small direct. I would probably go with 250 if I was gonna try it. And you will have to flip it. I doubt it will be a thing of beauty, and the skin facing the coals will probably get a bit crusty, but I bet it will taste good out in the wilderness![p]Is there any limitations that prevent you from bringing the large with you?[p]have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Daryl:[p]LOL, you are one sick ceramic puppy! What is it, two weeks and you have your second cooker? You must be finding your groove with ceramic cooking. Sounds like your Princess is sold on ceramic cooking too! [p]I think I would try this cook direct on a setter. Keep in mind that a large turkey in a small cooker will restrict airflow and you could have a hard time keeping your preferred cooking temperature. You may want to consider overshooting your cooking temperature a little before adding the bird to compensate for any air restriction. I would try to settle on 300º/325º for this cook.[p]If you do it, let us know how it comes out.
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    djm5x9,NB,JJ[p]Is it possible that the drippings would extinguish the coals? [p]Dec

• Nature Boy
    Dec,
    Yeah, that is a possiblity. No question it would create a whole bunch of smoke with a monster bird like that. I still vote for finding a way to bring the large! [p]If it is done on the small, it could be some kind of record!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    Dec:[p]I have never had that problem with larger cookers. Too much fat can results in flair ups when the dome is opened, but a closed dome seems to control flair ups. JJ & NB can speak specific to a small.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Daryl, I like JJ's response the best, but only on the large BGE. You are pushing your luck on the small. Sorry, my opinion goes against the majority here. If I were you, and really wanted to test drive the small in the wilderness, I would get a few turkey breasts and thighs or drums, and do em either on a double rack in the small or as you need them. Utilize the Large for the bigger birds. Or get a smaller bird for the Small BGE..Even a broiler would be fine. JJ's times and temps are on target for a full bird cook.
    Cheers...sorry to be a wet blanket on this one.
    Char-Woody[p]

• djm5x9
    Char-Woody:[p]No wet blanket . . . You gave him what he wanted. Honest feedback. Daryl, how about chicken halves cooked direct?

• Daryl
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the wet blanket. I think I will do it anyway - I think I will rig a drip pan under the grid though. Will post results in any case.[p]
  • Daryl
    djm5x9,[p]Chicken halves cooked direct huh? That is a great idea for Friday night, to break in the small egg![p]
  • Daryl
    djm5x9,[p]The Princess is sold. I had her worried that she would have to fire up the Large to cook the bird on Friday. She was actually relieved to see I had bought the small egg too. I might have fibbed just a little regarding it's cost. You know, just report the egg cost, without the thermometer, dual function metal top, etc.

• Daryl
    Nature Boy,[p]You cook on a small don't you? Can you get a drip pan under the grill, without elevating the grill? Bringing the large egg is out of the question. There simply is not room for it. I will be pushing the envelope to find room for the small.[p]
  • Nature Boy
    Daryl,
    Yeah, I cook on the small, but I have not really pulled off anything like a 21 pound turkey! Nor have I tried to get a drip pan under the grill, but it would definitely cut into your charcoal space. Maybe you could rig up a very shallow round drip pan (or just a flat shield).[p]I think you will need to use some creativity to accomplish your feat. But I think it is really cool that you are up to the challenge. I am curious to hear how it goes.[p]Have fun and keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Dec
    Dec Posts: 70
    Daryl,[p]How about rigging an aluminum pie pan under the grill with some wire. It should get most of the drippings. Maybe an inch or so from the grill would work. I have had some moist coals after loading the small with chicken so I may try this myself. [p]Dec[p]
  • Daryl
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for your ideas. A shield may be a good compromise. I do not want to extinguish the charcoal, but, I do not want to run out of charcoal either. A 21 pound bird will take a long time to cook!