Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Libs hate brown people… in their backyard

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options

ambulance chasing lawyers filing a class action on their behalf. wonder what the lawyers promised them.....
    I don't know if either of you have seen the pamphlets they were handed, but it seems clear they boarded the plane based on a set of lies they were told.  I believe there are laws against that sort of thing, but I could be wrong.   

i saw the pamphlets, its wrong.  some lawyers saw the gold......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

ambulance chasing lawyers filing a class action on their behalf. wonder what the lawyers promised them.....
    I don't know if either of you have seen the pamphlets they were handed, but it seems clear they boarded the plane based on a set of lies they were told.  I believe there are laws against that sort of thing, but I could be wrong.   

They're being represented by a well-known civil rights law firm.  These aren't exactly ambulance chasers.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options

They're being represented by a well-known civil rights law firm.  These aren't exactly ambulance chasers.  

if its a nonprofit civil rights law firm then im wrong, i will admit that. but i dont think working for free is part of their policy
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    edited September 2022
    Options

if its a nonprofit civil rights law firm then im wrong, i will admit that. but i dont think working for free is part of their policy
    It is in fact a charitable organization that is supporting the migrants in their suit against DeSantis here:

https://www.guidestar.org/profile/34-2066826

Their in-house lawyers are the ones who have filed the class-action suit.  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Hahaha - why does it have to be non-profit free lawyers?  Does it make DeSantis more wrong with free lawyers?
  • fishlessman
    Options

It is in fact a charitable organization that is supporting the migrants in their suit against DeSantis here:

ive never seen lawyers work for free but i will admit i may have been wrong. the organization looks legit
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hahaha - why does it have to be non-profit free lawyers?  Does it make DeSantis more wrong with free lawyers?

im sure high priced lawyers could make desantis more wrong than free lawyers. even free court appointed lawyers get paid......and you get what you pay for
    fukahwee maine

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options

I have not. I was just curious how someone who is in our country illegally can file a lawsuit with what appears to be fake names. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

I have not. I was just curious how someone who is in our country illegally can file a lawsuit with what appears to be fake names. 
    My understanding is that they were in the country legally as asylum seekers and had registered as such and were waiting on their hearings.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Options
    dmchicago said:

My understanding is that they were in the country legally as asylum seekers and had registered as such and were waiting on their hearings.
    Yep - from Venezuela and Mexico won’t accept them back, so US gives them asylum following whatever the process is.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited September 2022
    Options

In addition to what @dmchicago said, the pseudonyms are just to protect their identities.

But even for people who do happen to be in the country illegally, those people still have rights.  They may not have all the rights citizens have, but it’s not like all of the laws don’t apply to them just because they’ve broken one.  Just like you can’t shoot someone in the face for running a stop light (even though they might deserve it).  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

ive never seen lawyers work for free but i will admit i may have been wrong. the organization looks legit
    6 of my friends are lawyers and they do pro bono work all the time because they have a sense of empathy and duty, two things lacking too frequently these days.

dmchicago said:

Actually that requires a court hearing that they have to show up at. They are the equivalent of a non violent offender out on bail until that hearing. The crossed the border illegally without pre approved visas then asked for asylum.
  • saluki2007
    Options

In addition to what @dmchicago said, the pseudonyms are just to protect their identities.

But even for people who do happen to be in the country illegally, those people still have rights.  They may not have all the rights citizens have, but it’s not like all of the laws don’t apply to them just because they’ve broken one.  Just like you can’t shoot someone in the face for running a stop light (even though they might deserve it).  
    So why is it ok to protect their identities but not the person they are charging?

I understand they still have rights and don’t disagree with that. However, my guess is they are only suing because someone else is trying to create a story and get their 10 minutes of fame. It’s not like they are being held up in cages and beaten by men riding horses…they are being sent to places that claim all people are welcome. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    Hell the IL governor filed for a state of emergency last week because approx 500 people were sent to the Chicago area over a two week span. Places in Texas see that many a day everyday. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    edited September 2022
    Options

So why is it ok to protect their identities but not the person they are charging?

I understand they still have rights and don’t disagree with that. However, my guess is they are only suing because someone else is trying to create a story and get their 10 minutes of fame. It’s not like they are being held up in cages and beaten by men riding horses…they are being sent to places that claim all people are welcome. 
    Well they were mislead, that’s why they’re suing.  It’s not like they were planning to go to MV in the first place.

If you got on a plane because you were told a pot of gold was waiting for you at the end, only to find out that was a lie and a return plane wasn’t offered, you’d probably sue too, regardless of whether or not the people at the end destination were nice to you.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Hell the IL governor filed for a state of emergency last week because approx 500 people were sent to the Chicago area over a two week span. Places in Texas see that many a day everyday. 

chicago seems like a friendly place
    fukahwee maine

• saluki2007
    edited September 2022
    Options

Well they were mislead, that’s why they’re suing.  It’s not like they were planning to go to MV in the first place.

If you got on a plane because you were told a pot of gold was waiting for you at the end, only to find out that was a lie and a return plane wasn’t offered, you’d probably sue too, regardless of whether or not the people at the end destination were nice to you.
    I might sue in the case, however I don't know if that is a good analogy.  It's more like I walked my ass to Ireland in search of a pot of gold and then someone said take this plane to another part of Ireland and start your search there first you might have better luck there.  Not sure what grounds I would have to stand on for suing.  I would still be in search of the pot of gold in Ireland.  It's not like he put them on a bus and dropped them off in the Bayou of Louisiana and said good luck and watch our for the Cajuns.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

I might sue in the case, however I don't know if that is a good analogy.  It's more like I walked my ass to Ireland in search of a pot of gold and then someone said take this plane to another part of Ireland and start your search there first you might have better luck there.  Not sure what grounds I would have to stand on for suing.  I would still be in search of the pot of gold in Ireland.  It's not like he put them on a bus and dropped them off in the Bayou of Louisiana and said good luck and watch our for the Cajuns.
    I don't think you've actually spent much time looking into what these people were told, have you?  Take a look:

There's a reason they got onto the plane.  It wasn't because they were told they "might have better luck in Massachusetts".   They were just flat out lied to.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Maybe I have more sympathy for people like this because I've gotten to know some of them, I don't know.  My wife and I routinely break bread with undocumented immigrants and Dreamers because of her work. 

But for whatever reason, from my standpoint it doesn't take much to understand how messing with them like this is pretty far from OK.  These are actual human beings, not toys to be used as political pawns.  They deserve as much kindness as anyone else seeking a better life. 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Like I said before I have spent zero time looking into it. I don’t disagree with you and in some ways are playing devils advocate. But at the same time this game is nothing new. The last two presidents have been doing the same thing. The fact they went to upscale place but all of a sudden is making major news.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Like I said before I have spent zero time looking into it. I don’t disagree with you and in some ways are playing devils advocate. But at the same time this game is nothing new. The last two presidents have been doing the same thing. The fact they went to upscale place but all of a sudden is making major news.
    Which president lied to a group of immigrants as a means to convince them to board a plane to leave one state and enter another, where nobody at the destination state had any idea they were coming?

I mean if you just meant playing politics with immigration that's one thing.  This is quite a bit different, in my opinion.  This was all a stunt to gather some attention, without any concern whatsoever for the lives that would be impacted.  There was no other point to it.  No wrinkle of good intentions.  It's gross.  
  • Legume
    Options

I think the grandstanding is what started this in the first place.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    Maybe I have more sympathy for people like this because I've gotten to know some of them, I don't know.  My wife and I routinely break bread with undocumented immigrants and Dreamers because of her work. 

But for whatever reason, from my standpoint it doesn't take much to understand how messing with them like this is pretty far from OK.  These are actual human beings, not toys to be used as political pawns.  They deserve as much kindness as anyone else seeking a better life. 
    If someone wants to show compassion then they should be for closing the border. Many die on the way. Large majority of the women and children are raped. We have a very generous legal immigration system. Allowing illegals to storm over unchecked in not good for the country or them.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Closing the boarder is the most moronic thing I’ve heard on here in quite a while.  Why nut just nuke the economies on both sides currently doing massive commerce with each other?
    Options

It was Texas, not Oklahoma.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    Does anyone every stop and think things through anymore? Like hey, what could go wrong here, how might this be perceived, is this a morally supported move, does everyone deserve some level of respect?

On the surface, I think what DeSantis did is hilarious.  Thinking more than 2 seconds, and I am like, holy ****.  How did a good chuckle in a meeting turn into actually chartering a plane to perform a sneak attack on a community in the hopes of them not being able/willing to help these people who left their own country due to exploitation?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options

It was Texas, not Oklahoma.
    Ha mf-in’ Ha
    Options
    Does anyone every stop and think things through anymore? Like hey, what could go wrong here, how might this be perceived, is this a morally supported move, does everyone deserve some level of respect?

On the surface, I think what DeSantis did is hilarious.  Thinking more than 2 seconds, and I am like, holy ****.  How did a good chuckle in a meeting turn into actually chartering a plane to perform a sneak attack on a community in the hopes of them not being able/willing to help these people who left their own country due to exploitation?
    I think the bar has been lowered so much lately that moral and ethical acceptability has got to be murky at best for some people. I also think some people are emboldened to try anything with little fear of reprisal.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yep, measured by statistical data