Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings

Options
Have not made these on the Egg in a long time.   Since getting a deep fryer it has been our go to for Wings.

But today, decided on the Egg.

Tossed the wings in Potato Starch (because that is all I have) to dry them out a bit.  350F indirect.

At 190F these were ready to go.

Did as modified  Buffalo Wing sauce:  Franks, Butter and some of my home made hot sauce.   Put back on to set.

Served with Salad

We were not the only ones having lunch.  Yard is full of bees this year, which makes me very happy.

Wings were not as good as the fryer, but they were good.

Thanks
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• tcampbell
    Options
    That's a lot of wings. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Next time mix about 1/4 baking powder in with your potato starch.  You may never deep-fry again.   ;)  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    1/4_____ baking powder 
    1 to 3 ratio?
    Sorry  I'm slow please be a little more precise. 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Ewps.  Yeah, 1:3 ratio.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Thanks for the replies .... I tried it before with baking powder - Still prefer the fryer with salt and pepper only.    I figure wings are unhealthy anyway so may as well go all the way.

I really like the old BGE rack for rotating food, unfortunately,  it does not go with the new Eggspander kit which holds my Conveggtor, so need to take it out to use it for this rack.

(Ugh!  always have to go to the BGE site to get the names of the accessories, can never remember them - maybe that is why they came up with those names :)   )    
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nice looking wangs!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    There is a chipotle / habanero / lime recipe on the forum somewhere .. best wings I’ve had
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    I usually smoke them low (225) for 45 minutes or so to get smoky. Then fry them. Best of both worlds.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I'd hit those!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Botch said:
    Ewps.  Yeah, 1:3 ratio.  
    By volume or weight? 😉
    canuckland
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Weight in the US, Volume in Canada.  But, don't forget to first multiply by 5/9 and then add 32.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    I usually smoke them low (225) for 45 minutes or so to get smoky. Then fry them. Best of both worlds.
    This my suggestion as well.  Did this with friends once at a wing festival.  Turned out very well.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis