Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Product Recommendations For Headlight Cover Restoration

Options
Have a '06 Chevy Impala with discolored/hazed headlight covers, daily driver that sits outside and I think sun is the culprit.
Multiple products available that claim to restore the cover clarity.  Looking for advice from folks that have used these products, which ones worked or more so, which didn't. Always been partial to Meguiar's waxes and polishes so leaning that way.  Thoughts appreciated.
Or is a person off better spending the money and buying new housings?
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I had a mobile detailer fix mine on a 09 suburban. 40 bucks a headlight. Took him about an hour in 110 degree Texas sun. Money well spent.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    He basically sanded them with fine grit sandpaper. Each pass was more fine than the last. Also some solutions were applied between sanding. After watching. I would want to have done it. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    edited September 2022
    Options

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Turtle-Wax-1-oz-Car-Exterior-Cleaner/1002737364

Used that about a year ago on mine. Sti looks pretty good and was relatively easy to do
    Austin, TX
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 365
    Options
    I had an airplane canopy that needed restoration, similar material and condition to a headlight cover, and used a Novus kit with their 1, 2, 3 set of chemicals. Basically three different grades of fine abrasive in a polish compound. I preceded that with some 1,000 and 2,000 grit wet or dry, done wet, and it went quickly and well. Like new. My kit has 8 fluid ounce bottles and there's most of it left over.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    It was a number of years ago, but I used 3Ms Trizact products on SWMBOs headlights on her Jetta and then gave them a quick shot of clear. They still looked good when we got rid of it a couple years ago 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Or is a person off better spending the money and buying new housings?
    On an '06, maybe.  I learned a year ago that I can't replace a "bulb" (if that's what they're even called now) on my '18, the whole housing w/lights has to be replaced as a unit (the bulb swings side-to-side with the steering, and up/down depending on speed).  Cost for one housing: $1,996.00.  Used!  
    Really hoping those bulbs last longer than I do.  Egads.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I had it done to a couple of cars.  The cars were both 10+ years old before they got looking crappy.  The restored headlights fogged again much sooner than when they were new.

One of the cars had a head light replaced due to a small fender-bender.  It bugged me that one headlight was clear and the other was foggy.  I had the one head light done and it got looking bad again long before the new one ever fogged up.

I had it done at the local detail shop that ran a special.  He made me a deal on the single light, but I think it was still $40.  

Clinton, Iowa
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Getting ready to sell a vehicle. Just did this yesterday. I recommend the chemical guys product .

Edit to give you an idea of how they look afterwards.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Bellavista52
    Options
    I read somewhere recently that some have used toothpaste for this purpose.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    True story.   Off bug repellent and a paper towel first.  Instant clear up.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    I did it myself on my old Tacoma. It needed to be redone after a couple years and didn't look right after the second time, maybe I took too much off? Anyway, bought new ones off Amazon for front and back, wish I would have done that from the start. The back are full LED, didn't re-use the bulbs. The front re-used the headlamps and turn signal bulbs.  HTH!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.