Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Jerky

Options
In the past, I’ve made some “decent” jerky, but nothing noteworthy. Yesterday, I made some Hey Grill Hey Dr Pepper jerky in my dehydrator. I kept bending and tasting, but when I thought it was time to pull, it was like cardboard…ugh! I used a slicer about 1/4” and marinaded overnight. As Barkley was say, “it was turrible”. Suggestions, recipes, etc., would be most welcomed. Thanks!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Did you cut across the grain? What kind of meat ? I go a hair under 8 mm ….. I’ll take then to the bend and break, usually wet marinated d overnight ….tons of recipes , my go to is simply veriveri teriyaki, Calabrian chili flakes , smoked paprika… I typically use eye of round 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    i did cut across the grain on eye of round roasts and marinated overnight. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• lkapigian
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    i did cut across the grain on eye of round roasts and marinated overnight. 
    Sounds pretty good, my only thoughts are going thinner , I have dehydrated to various doneness but never the texture you describe 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 367
    Options
    Just remember the times u pulled it off at, don't change alot things at once and see what you like. I used to sell Jerry and it took me a bit of time to perfect it. Also remember if it's dry when u pull it out u can put a apple slice in a closed bag to rehydrate it a little. 

I would always set it to 165 to begin and about half way through lower my temp to slow it down, turned out good. I used Excalibur 9 tray dehydrators and had 3 of them.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    Just remember the times u pulled it off at, don't change alot things at once and see what you like. I used to sell Jerry and it took me a bit of time to perfect it. Also remember if it's dry when u pull it out u can put a apple slice in a closed bag to rehydrate it a little. 

I would always set it to 165 to begin and about half way through lower my temp to slow it down, turned out good. I used Excalibur 9 tray dehydrators and had 3 of them.
    Thank you! Do you have a favorite marinade? Also, what meat did you use, how thick was your cut….ballpark on time?

Ronald Reagan

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I used to make a lot of deer jerky with this recipe, but did some with flank steak also. One batch fills a large glass jar (big pickle jar) and would do about 1/4 deer.  Cut meat into strips, soak overnight in fridge, than put meat in smoker or dehydrator.  THROW away the brine, and use fresh if you make another big batch.

1 Bottle Liquid smoke
    1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
    1/4 cup Soy sauce
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Salt
    1 1/2 TBS Garlic salt
    2 TBS Black pepper (mild) or 3 =HOT
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning
    2 cups water

• Dawgtired
    Options
    I used to make a lot of deer jerky with this recipe, but did some with flank steak also. One batch fills a large glass jar (big pickle jar) and would do about 1/4 deer.  Cut meat into strips, soak overnight in fridge, than put meat in smoker or dehydrator.  THROW away the brine, and use fresh if you make another big batch.

1 Bottle Liquid smoke
    1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
    1/4 cup Soy sauce
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Salt
    1 1/2 TBS Garlic salt
    2 TBS Black pepper (mild) or 3 =HOT
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning
    2 cups water

Thank you! How thick are you cutting the strips and how long in the dehydrator?

Ronald Reagan

• littlerascal56
    Options
    I cut the deermeat in 1/4" thick strips.  Then used a wood mallet to thin them down to about 1/8".  That also made them retain the brine much better. Overnite in fridge, then squeezed out excess liquid, and put in dehydrator.   

I built my dehydrator out of a large safe (removed from an old church), and installed 6 racks. Used a computer fan to move air, and a stack with damper. 1-8" heating element from a stove in bottom of safe.  I could dry 2 batches per time, or 1/2 deer.  Ran it at 150F. for 6 hours. 
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Anyone added meat tenderizer to the marinade?

Ronald Reagan

• lkapigian
    Options
    Not tenderizer , but MSG 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    Mr1egg said:

Thank you! Do you have a favorite marinade? Also, what meat did you use, how thick was your cut….ballpark on time?
    It was a while ago so I don't really remember exactly, me and mostly everyone I sold to liked the spicy mix which was just a few hot pepper powder mix nothing crazy. I think it was 6-8 hours in the dehydrator, and I don't remember the thickness it was setting 5 I believe on my slicer. I used eye of round I bought it from Costco in boxes straight from the butcher for roughly $300 a box. Bought all my spices from bulk barn. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is a really good recipe for Korean jerky if you like asian stuff:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/yukpo

I've never had it turn out leathery, but I do usually pull it off when it seems to be done.  I don't think it needs quite as much time as she calls for in the recipe, so just check it as it goes.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Interesting tread . . . has anyone made jerky on a  Lrg BGE?
    If so, is there a rack you would recommend?
    TY
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    I think jt would be hard to keep a egg steady at 165 and even lower after a few hours.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Mr1egg said:
    I think jt would be hard to keep a egg steady at 165 and even lower after a few hours.

in the late fall thru early spring, large handfull of small lump will keep the temps down. i pile the meat in a mound about 1.5 inches thick and flip the mound every hour, this helps with temp spikes if you are not quick enough. finish up in a dehydrator for texture but i like how it comes off the egg smoked over 7 or so hours straight up.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wps456
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    TY
    I was about to ask the same thing. I've got a jerky rack and tray for the oven and it's about 1/2 inch too big for the large (can't close lid). I've got a new XL, so hoping to kill a few deer this year and try some jerky on it. I'll report back if I can get it done.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    wps456 said:
    loco_engr said:
    TY
    I was about to ask the same thing. I've got a jerky rack and tray for the oven and it's about 1/2 inch too big for the large (can't close lid). I've got a new XL, so hoping to kill a few deer this year and try some jerky on it. I'll report back if I can get it done.

think vertical, this was a smaller grid, my current raised rack system will hold alot more than this old weber rack

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    TY

For jerky, I usually do 30-45 minutes on the egg to get some smoke and then into the dehydrator.  I just use parchment paper.
    NOLA