Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Hallowed Ground

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited August 2022 in EggHead Forum
So we departed our home yesterday morning, and we arrived at Caledonia State Park in Fayetteville, PA in the afternoon. Got setup and had a quiet evening in the 5er. 

Today we visited the Gettysburg National Military Park, toured the museum, and viewed the cyclorama - a 377’ by 42’ high circular painting of the battle. It was completed in 1883 and initially went on display in Chicago. An amazing piece of art:

https://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/cyclorama.htm

Pretty sad that almost 160 years after President Lincoln gave his famous address, we are still having modern day lynchings occur (George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, just to name two recent ones).

It is incredibly humbling to view this ground, and hard not to be moved by the sacrifices made by those on both sides of the battle lines. 

After we got back to the campground, we busted out the Ooni and made a couple pies:

For some reason, alcohol is prohibited in PA State Parks, so I am sitting inside and may be bending that rule just a little:

Tomorrow morning my son and I are doing a guided horseback tour of the battlefield, we are really looking forward to that. If you’ve never visited Gettysburg, I highly recommend you do so.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Have visited, but not for a number of years. Looks like you’re having a great time. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Gettysburg should be a USA bucket list visit.  Standing in the park trying to imagine the forces at work during the battle was a challenge that I embraced. 
    Powerful words to read and heed today! 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Sweet ! Need to get back on my Ultra 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    Well unfortunately the horseback tour was cancelled due to heavy rains. 

We ended up doing the audio based Auto Tour, you drive a route in your car and the app plays audio files based on your location. It provided a good overview of the three days of the battle. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I am glad you got to see Gettysburg, funny thing, I was in Williamsport, PA this past week and had planned to go to Gettysburg this past Sunday (8/14).  Due to a family emergency, I had to fly back on Saturday.  I hope to make it one day.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I visited Gettysburg and then Washington D.C. the summer after I graduated high school with my mom. We did an early morning tour (run by the U.S. Parks Department) and there was a low fog across the battle field. It was a solemn moment and I remember it vividly today. So many good things to see there and I'm now thinking of when I can get back there next year.
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sounds like you're having a grand ol' time, Mike. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    As long as you aren't breaking bottles and causing a ruckus they don't care about the booze.

Looks like a fun trip
  • CTMike
    RyanStl said:
    As long as you aren't breaking bottles and causing a ruckus they don't care about the booze.

Looks like a fun trip
    Yah, I’m thinking they just have that in their back pocket to use as ammunition to boot someone if they are getting on obnoxious. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    CTMike said:
    RyanStl said:

Looks like a fun trip
    Yah, I’m thinking they just have that in their back pocket to use as ammunition to boot someone if they are getting on obnoxious. 
    It’s prohibited in MD state parks too, but we’ve never had an issue.  Don’t be obvious and make them have to do something seems to be excellent guidelines.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD