Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Product Review: Bucket Head

Options
TWags15
TWags15 Posts: 71
edited August 2022 in EggHead Forum
A month or so ago, I was thumbing through my Twitter timeline and saw @BBQFinds promoting Home Depot’s Bucket Head. Not quite ready to fire on the Kick Ash basket, but a bit tired of the constant scraping with the tool, I took a calculated stab (hope?) that this would land somewhere in the middle. For $30 and with room to stow it, I bit that day and have used it 15-20 times.

Figured I’d peck out a review. First, some pics …

Pros: 
Snaps right on the bucket, no prob … The bucket handle extends over the top of the vac attachment. That’s clutch because you’re holding the bucket 95% of the time you’re vacuuming … The suction is really good, including no issue with those spur-sized chunks of unburned lump that puncture bare feet … Incredibly light and easy to tote. 

Cons: Power cord could be longer. You’d really have to have a fortunate setup to avoid using an extension. Not much more than an annoyance for me, though.

Overall: Really happy with the product. Worried that it might be too gadgety/good to be true, but it’s delivered consistently. I’ve got an elevated setup with a Large BGE nested in a custom base/countertop. For a deep clean with the guts out, I wouldn’t mind another foot of suction hose. Slight knock, but doesn’t qualify as a con.

Rating: 4 Brisket Slices (Outta 5)

#BlueSmoke

Tim
Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
Aurora, IL

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    My initial thought when first seeing your thread.

Thanks for the review!
    LoL, my thoughts as well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    @TWags15, does it have a filter?  How much ash dust does it blow out? 

I have been thinking of getting a shop vac that I can use exclusively for ashes.  They are a bit like drywall dust, in my experience, and once a shop vac has that fine dust inside it, it seems to blow it everywhere.

Thanks for the review!

Clinton, Iowa
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    I went with one of the ash vac's on amazon. Will accept hot ash as can and hose are not plastic.  Does not blow ash all over as my shop vac did.  one of the better purchases I've made for the Egg
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    This works good,  power Smith ash vac 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 272
    Options
    - Like @kdink I sprung for an ash vac.
    - Has a metal tub. Do not see any ash cloud when on. Has washable filters if you think you have an issue.
    - Use it on my BGE's, Primo, PKO, Kettles and it gets the heaviest work out on thd HB Gourmet.
    - Think it ran me $69 on Amazon about 6 years ago.
    - I would buy it again just to make my Hastybake life easier 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I have this as well.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I have this as well.

Yup, That's one I have also!!
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    tamck1 said:
    A $23 Bickethead shopvac from Home Depot takes about 30 sec to clean your egg.  

And once it is clean, refilled with lump, and you have the charcoal started you can hook the hose on the output side of the motor, aim it at the bottom vent opening and you have your own redneck Eggcellerator.

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    This website costs me more money than any other!  Thanks, I could have gone my entire life without knowing there was "ash vacs".
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    @TWags15, does it have a filter?  How much ash dust does it blow out? 

I have been thinking of getting a shop vac that I can use exclusively for ashes.  They are a bit like drywall dust, in my experience, and once a shop vac has that fine dust inside it, it seems to blow it everywhere.

Thanks for the review!

It does have a filter and minimal ash blows right when you power up, like a quick poof, but everything else is contained. You’re spot-on with the drywall dust comp, but so far, so good. 
    Tim
    Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
    Aurora, IL
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Great review.   I’ve contemplated one forever and never pulled the trigger.  

I boogered up my high end Shop-Vac using it for this purpose-and those that equated ash to Drywall dust are spot on.   

I have so many 5gal HD buckets that this gadget would make sense.  

Thanks for the post/review!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    I bought the Sears ash vac when they see closing the one here years back. $40. Only issue is the filter catches the smaller lump particles and somewhat chokes it up. Other than that, worth the money. When it dies, I will be buying this HD version after this great review 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I had a vacuum similar to this I was using to suck out the dregs out of a diesel fuel tank. Quiet possibly one of the dumbest things I have done.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.