Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Price Gouging

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    If state legislated gun laws are getting dumped by SCOTUS are state controlled adult beverage stores far behind??  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    If state legislated gun laws are getting dumped by SCOTUS are state controlled adult beverage stores far behind??  B)
    Whoa!  World has gone mad.  The playground moderator has thrown punches.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Develop a relationship with a retail source and you will be rewarded at random times.  I have purchased all the above Sazerac products at MSRP within the last six months and some more frequently than others.  
    But I have also paid a whole lot more for some as well.  I live around 60 miles (at most) from all the big brand distilleries and the closer to the epicenter the harder to find.
    Big $$ to be made exporting to the further reaches of the USA and especially Japan and SE Asia.  
    I recall some 20 years ago finding Pappy Van Winkle (PVW) 12 yo on the shelf year round, 15 yo around 8-10 months of the year, 20 yo around 4-6 months and yes, even the 23 yo for a good month or more.  To me, the juice for those is now not worth the squeeze.  FWIW-
    Yep, our guy used to hide the good stuff under the cash register in a cabinet.  
       I’ve been into Belle Meade lately, It seems like every time I get into a bourbon I never see it again. Casual shopper fwiw if it’s not in my Kroger liquor store I’m not getting it.
    I heard they may be discontinuing the belle meade SR. Might want to stock up. Hopefully they gossip is just that. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,657
    Options
    I’ve honestly never been to a non grocery store liquor store since we moved to Ohio. My go to was makers, but I didn’t like they sold out, then BT, been to the distillery they held the place open a few minutes late for us when we were visiting, but it’s nla, I liked larceny after that but I don’t see it anymore so now onto belle meade.  Beer is more my scene.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    funny how things are readily accessible here but hard to get in other markets. I can get Makers, Belle Meade, Buffalo Trace, Larceny and a bunch more easily
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Ran to Costco this morning. $27 for Four Roses small batch was a no brainer. How do we feel about Angel's Envy?

Off to the other shop when they open this afternoon.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    Ran to Costco this morning. $27 for Four Roses small batch was a no brainer. How do we feel about Angel's Envy?

4R is much better then Angel's Envy (to me).  Angel's Envy was a bit of a disappointment.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:

4R is much better then Angel's Envy (to me).  Angel's Envy was a bit of a disappointment.
    That's the vibe I got off a quick Google search while in store so I passed.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:

Absolutely love Angel’s Envy.   Used to be allocated, nowadays it’s readily available.   Easily one of my favorite sub $50 bottles.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:

Every palette is different.  I personally didn’t really enjoy the 4R small batch.   But to each their own for sure.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:

Absolutely love Angel’s Envy.   Used to be allocated, nowadays it’s readily available.   Easily one of my favorite sub $50 bottles.  
    Yeah, not one of my favorites but quite good. Definitely not swill. It’s very personal and subjective. I for instance will pass on the whistle pig. Just not my jam. I find it to be a bit medicinal in flavor. It’s obviously wildly popular with others. Drink what you like. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    You are looking for a price that you won’t actually be able to find anywhere right now?  
    Here's a price list for North Carolina.  
    https://abc.nc.gov/Pricing/PriceList

However, as John notes, that doesn't mean the store will actually have it.  Friends have a FB group that posts whenever an ABC store has (or had) certain desirable bottles.

nh sells direct. on this link click view all stock, every store in the state is listed with how many bottles they have. sales rotate every 30 days with one month a year selling at full price

Hmm, they also have Willet for $38, which is about $14/bottle cheaper than around here.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    dmchicago said:
    FrostyEgg said:
    No, but there's certainly a threshold over MSRP i'm willing to spend/not spend. Just nice to know if a bottle is marked up $5 or $50.

I found a new local source that seems to get a lot of higher end stuff. If i'm going to get raped I at least want to know how badly.
    I’m not trying to throw a wet blanket over a bourbon thread, but let’s not compare overpaying for booze to rape. 
    True.  Save that for the gas prices thread.  Thanks, Joe.

No kidding. Talking about bending over.
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    I have not personally used it, but have heard good things about an app called BoozApp.  It will give you what the MSRP should be and what the average going rate is.

Now me personally, I have drank enough different whiskeys to know what I am willing to pay for certain bottles.  Weller's Special Reserve is a perfect example.  MSRP is right around $30 and I will pay that all day for it, but I have seen it for $40 and up.  I have tried and liked a lot more readily available whiskeys at that price point that I would take over it all day everyday.  So in the end it's all about what do you like and how much are you willing to pay for it.
    Weller is my absolute favorite and I haven't been able to find any in about 5 years where I live. I even wrote to the distillery and they sent me a list of locations that might have some, called them all and no dice.
  • FrostyEgg
    Options
    Just got back empty handed. Lots of small labels I didn't recognize, and lots of overpriced stuff I can get elsewhere for retail. (Woodford and Bulleit to name a few.

No harder to find labels at all. Haven't seen Buffalo Trace up here in a few years it seems, and that used to be everywhere.
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Develop a relationship with a retail source and you will be rewarded at random times.  I have purchased all the above Sazerac products at MSRP within the last six months and some more frequently than others.  
    But I have also paid a whole lot more for some as well.  I live around 60 miles (at most) from all the big brand distilleries and the closer to the epicenter the harder to find.
    Big $$ to be made exporting to the further reaches of the USA and especially Japan and SE Asia.  
    I recall some 20 years ago finding Pappy Van Winkle (PVW) 12 yo on the shelf year round, 15 yo around 8-10 months of the year, 20 yo around 4-6 months and yes, even the 23 yo for a good month or more.  To me, the juice for those is now not worth the squeeze.  FWIW-
       I’ve been into Belle Meade lately, It seems like every time I get into a bourbon I never see it again. Casual shopper fwiw if it’s not in my Kroger liquor store I’m not getting it.
    I heard they may be discontinuing the belle meade SR. Might want to stock up. Hopefully they gossip is just that. 
    I heard this was NOT true and the SR was still going to be made. I hope its true as its a wonderful bourbon and a decent price.
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    bbracey21 said:
    bbracey21 said:
    Last Eagle Rare I purchased a few months ago was $39.99 (750ml). But it’s rare to find the popular flavors on the shelves where I live.  Today I asked for Sazerac which they went to the back to get. $37.99 (750ml) for it. 
    I bought Sazerac for MSRP while at my local shop.  They had just got a shipment in.  It was fine, but nothing for me to get excited about.
    I really like Saz in my old fashioneds. Something about it just hits the spot for me personally.
    I might have to try that.  I usually only drink mine neat or with a single ice cube.  Depends on what I am.drinking.
    Good whiskey of any kind should be drank neat, on ice, or with a splash of water. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @The_Buffalo - pics would be great on the exotics thread or wherever a person of your stature would care to post.   And for the record below are the legislated "bourbon rules"  (We (KY) like to think we own it but...)

Bourbon Requirements

On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States.” The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 CFR 5) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

• Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
    • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
    • Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
    • Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
    • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
    • Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.
    To all-enjoy the 246th birthday of the USA on Monday-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    @lousubcap
    we do own it...don't let these guys fool you. :smile:

As for the rest of you guys, just stop drinking our bourbon so that us native Kentuckians can enjoy it. This allocation stuff rubs me the wrong way. I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare at Costco in Austin TX for $27 last April. I'm a big Buffalo Trace fan, so anything by them (ok, so they are owned by Sazerac) is good with me. I prefer EH Taylor, then Weller. 

What kills me is the local bourbon clubs..these guys hoard it and buy up anything that shows up. Liquor Barn will put out allocated stuff every once in awhile and they will be sold out in an hour. All for the collectors to put them on their shelves..wtf. how about letting us drinkers have a bottle now and then??
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    @lousubcap
    we do own it...don't let these guys fool you. :smile:

As for the rest of you guys, just stop drinking our bourbon so that us native Kentuckians can enjoy it. This allocation stuff rubs me the wrong way. I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare at Costco in Austin TX for $27 last April. I'm a big Buffalo Trace fan, so anything by them (ok, so they are owned by Sazerac) is good with me. I prefer EH Taylor, then Weller. 

What kills me is the local bourbon clubs..these guys hoard it and buy up anything that shows up. Liquor Barn will put out allocated stuff every once in awhile and they will be sold out in an hour. All for the collectors to put them on their shelves..wtf. how about letting us drinkers have a bottle now and then??
    I feel you on the hoarders. Zero collector bottles in my supply. It’s bought for drinking.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @JohnfromKentucky

Agree with this.   One of our bigger liquor chains down here is Spec's.   I asked one day if they had any Blanton's (since they sell at MSRP).   They said yes but they were all spoken for.   To that I replied, but have they been paid for?    They told me no.   They refused to sell them to me even though I was literally there with cash money.

Turns out they have a list, much like McCarthyism.   If you're not on the list you don't get a bottle...oh and you also can't get on the list because it is "full".

Stuff like this kills me.    I don't shop there anymore.
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The_Buffalo - pics would be great on the exotics thread or wherever a person of your stature would care to post.   And for the record below are the legislated "bourbon rules"  (We (KY) like to think we own it but...)

Bourbon Requirements

On 4 May 1964, the United States Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States.” The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 CFR 5) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

• Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
    • Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.
    • Bourbon may not be introduced to the barrel at higher than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
    • Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
    • Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
    • If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
    • Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.
    To all-enjoy the 246th birthday of the USA on Monday-

Until the Supreme Court comes in and f's this all up....ending 58 years of precedent.
    Memphis, TN
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I heard this was NOT true and the SR was still going to be made. I hope its true as its a wonderful bourbon and a decent price.
    I hope you heard correctly. Great juice at a fairly reasonable price. I like that proof point 104-110. Get some bang for your buck there without burning your senses out. 😁
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options

Ok unicorn hunters what 5 would you go for?  They sell at msrp which is not listed. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but all this talk of bourbon prices is making me want to go to the local repository and investigate for myself.  Seems timely in advance of the long weekend.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but all this talk of bourbon prices is making me want to go to the local repository and investigate for myself.  Seems timely in advance of the long weekend.
    What better way to drown your sorrows about rising bourbon prices than to drink?  They got you.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    Options

Ok unicorn hunters what 5 would you go for?  They sell at msrp which is not listed. 
    Elijah Craig 18
    old Carter 11
    Heaven Hill 17
    Milam and Greene
    lock,stock,barrel 21
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    I've found this whole thread reassuring.  I don't drink a lot of bourbon/whiskey.  The only whiskey I've bought since August of 2020 was Whistle Pig Boss Hog 7 as a gift for a friend and Boss Hog 8 as a gift for myself - and those prices and availability haven't changed.  In the meantime I've been gifted Weller, Eagle Rare, Blantons and some others and still have them in unopened bottles that I will eventually drink.  Might even have a sip tonight since I'm starting a week of vacation...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    What better way to drown your sorrows about rising bourbon prices than to drink?  They got you.
    Right?  Fock!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike