Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nifty New Fire-Starter!

Options
I’ve been whining about getting a solid “clicker” to start fires, so my wife grabbed this GRILLMATIC USB Lighter on Amazon for Father’s Day. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s rechargeable and looks like a mini taser but, boy, does it light a cube or tumbleweed in less than a second! Too small of a sample size for me to fully endorse, but I’m curious if anyone’s familiar and can weigh in on its longevity (my only reservation). Comes in a nice box with a USB cord to recharge. 

Pics below in no particular order.

Tim
Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
Aurora, IL

Comments

• RagingIrishman
    Options
    My first time seeing it. It looks interesting, does it make a noise when it’s on?  Just curious
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    My first time seeing it. It looks interesting, does it make a noise when it’s on?  Just curious
    Just a very din buzz (like a bug zapper in the distance) and maybe a tiny crackle. I can’t overemphasize how quickly it draws a flame. It’s nuts. But I’m damn sure keeping it in my drawer outside, or next thing you know it’ll be igniting jar candles and sparklers before disappearing like all the disposables!
    Tim
    Aurora, IL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Will be following this thread closely.  I usually use a paraffin thingie to light my lump, and a long-neck Bic or other brand to light the paraffin thingie, but those things stop working within a week, or never at all (and I've tried all brands).  Can't imagine one with a rechargeable battery in it.   
    I've gone to a $0.99 box of 400 wooden matches to light my paraffin, and it's worked reliably since last year.  And looks like I have a few years left on that box...

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We have one like that for the stove inside. Works well. Haven't used to light up starters, etc. 

It doesn't work too well for lighting candles, as the sparky points get gummed up with wax pretty quick. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Botch said:
    Will be following this thread closely.  I usually use a paraffin thingie to light my lump, and a long-neck Bic or other brand to light the paraffin thingie, but those things stop working within a week, or never at all (and I've tried all brands).  Can't imagine one with a rechargeable battery in it.   
    I've gone to a $0.99 box of 400 wooden matches to light my paraffin, and it's worked reliably since last year.  And looks like I have a few years left on that box...
    I like the "Torch Flame" by Scripto lighters for lighting my thingies.  The butane must be under some pressure, so it actually stays lit.

Usually, they are hard to find, and almost always come in a two pack with the awful kind that never seem to work more than once.  I currently have two 2-packs NIB in my drawer.

First world problems.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Botch said:
    Another plus on the new zapper: It’s immune to the wind.
    Tim
    Aurora, IL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Looks neat, but I’d call that a starter starter :wink:
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I have a couple that are now a few years old. Never had any problems. I only use them to light propane burners of my pizza oven and wok burner.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I'm just glad to see the word "Nifty" in use 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Yeah, I thought that was boss.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Canugghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I have a couple that are now a few years old. Never had any problems. I only use them to light propane burners of my pizza oven and wok burner.
    Brilliant, gonna get it for pizza oven.
    canuckland
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    lkapigian said:

It's all relative. For instance ... if your sock drawer is perfectly coordinated, your wife might call that nifty in an upbeat way, but if you shaved your nether regions leaving just the Shazam lightening bolt ... the nifty would seem maybe not so upbeat.

One time, I had a baker's dozen butt warbles and I got rid of eleven of them .. and I still got the not so upbeat nifty. I could have pointed out her nifty club foot, the nifty cauliflower ears, or her nifty bum dust collection but I didn't and that in itself was nifty

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    So it's a fancy lighter. Would it work on a cigar?
  • Canugghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Bought one for lighting pizza oven gas burner. As mentioned in numerous online reviews the sparking buzz noise and smell are unpleasant.  Thanks to @WeberWho I discovered this

Coating the prongs with the grease took care of the sparking smell and noise. Apparently it's supposed to reduce wear and tear of the tips too. Hope this ocd maintenance doesn’t backfire  :)  

canuckland
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    Got me!
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • wwinnc
    Options
    I'm with @Botch- a box of  "strike on anything" matches does the job here!  Call me old fashioned!
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!