Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Cook

Options
I’m cooking two pork shoulders that I picked up at Costco at the beginning of the year. I did a yellow mustard binder and applied Meat Church Deez Nuts Pecan Rub. I usually use Honey Hog but trying something new. I had wanted to do the peach preserve glaze but I went to two stores and was unable to find any. I might try making our own if I can find some nice peaches, another topic for another post. 

Im running indirect at 350 with a couple of chunks of pecan wood to compliment the rub. I’ll post a pic update with the finished product. 

Plainfield, IL
XL BGE

Comments

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Those are some big butts.
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    Definitely a lot of pork. I'll be giving some to my in-laws and SIL's family. I bought 2 packages of Hawaiian rolls yesterday but unfortunately the pack of wolves in my house already devoured one package. I'll have to get some nacho chips too for some pork nachos and smoked queso.
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I’m curious to see how you like that rub. I purchased two a few months ago and I’ve tried it on pork butts and baby back ribs. I find the pecan flavor to be a little too overpowering.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    I’m curious to see how you like that rub. I purchased two a few months ago and I’ve tried it on pork butts and baby back ribs. I find the pecan flavor to be a little too overpowering.
    I did a taste test on my finger before applying the rub and it had a strong sweet and salty flavor to it so I didn't need to add any additional salt or sugar. Not surprisingly those are the two top ingredients for this rub. I let you know our thoughts on the flavor. My family gives me brutal feedback on my cooks.    :D
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    Both are temping at 145-150 right now. Going naked for the whole cook. 

Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Do yourself a favor and try that pecan rub on salmon.  It is incredible!  It’s also great on chicken and turkeys.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • TWags15
    TWags15 Posts: 71
    Options
    I’m cooking two pork shoulders that I picked up at Costco at the beginning of the year. I did a yellow mustard binder and applied Meat Church Deez Nuts Pecan Rub. I usually use Honey Hog but trying something new. I had wanted to do the peach preserve glaze but I went to two stores and was unable to find any. I might try making our own if I can find some nice peaches, another topic for another post. 

Im running indirect at 350 with a couple of chunks of pecan wood to compliment the rub. I’ll post a pic update with the finished product. 

Lookin' good! Pulled pork is my go-to smoke for big crowds and leftovers present all sorts of fun options. Looking forward to the rub review. I got "The Ocho" from Meat Church for Father's Day, so I'll be on the hunt for recipes that utilize each one. I'm familiar with some already, especially Holy Cow. Oh, @RagingIrishman ... we're kinda neighbors (I'm in Aurora). Bet you've made a stop or two at Tischler's and Station One ...
    Tim
    Large BGE (2020), Outdoor Kitchen (Summer 2021)
    Aurora, IL
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    TWags15 said:

Lookin' good! Pulled pork is my go-to smoke for big crowds and leftovers present all sorts of fun options. Looking forward to the rub review. I got "The Ocho" from Meat Church for Father's Day, so I'll be on the hunt for recipes that utilize each one. I'm familiar with some already, especially Holy Cow. Oh, @RagingIrishman ... we're kinda neighbors (I'm in Aurora). Bet you've made a stop or two at Tischler's and Station One ...
    Thanks TWags15 and I’m big fan of Tischlers and I’ve been thinking of taking one of their classes. I think Station One has very good bbq and we enjoy them for a hearty meal when I’m too lazy or busy to do the cook. 

Pic of Johnny on patrol in the yard to keep intruders away from the cook. 

Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • RagingIrishman
    RagingIrishman Posts: 165
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Off the egg and resting for a couple hrs before I pull them  I spritzed with apple cider vinegar for the rest. 

Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Did you smoke them fat side up?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    Did you smoke them fat side up?
    Yes, fat side up. Hoping to see some nice smoke in the meat when I pull them. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Great bark and dog!
    IL 
  • RagingIrishman
    Options
    Final update on this cook. I think I got great smoke penetration on the meat and it had a good smoke flavor.  The pecan rub didn’t taste overpowering to me and the pork flavor came through all the way. These were 2 big butts so if it were a smaller butt or rack of ribs it might be more overpowering. I’ll definitely be using the rub again and keep giving my impressions. 

A couple of small end pieces were over cooked. I chalk that up to me not trimming the butts before the cook. I likely could have been avoided those if I evened out the butt since I had to let it ride on the egg until I hit 200 internal. 

The family all approved of this cook so I’m happy. Thanks to all that followed along and commented. 

Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the rub. Beautiful cook. 

I tend to overly rub my butts. No, wait…

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX