Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I HAVE A SRF GIFT CERTIFICATE, Recommendations Please

Options
smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
I have $150 to spend, leaning towards a brisket. Just wondering what others have experienced and their recommendations.  Thsnks!
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @lousubcap can provide quality recommendations.

Pretty much cannot go wrong.  Their kurobuta pork is excellent, but not as consistent quality wise as their beef.  The picanaha is a really good cut and different than the usual choices.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • smbishop
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac Thank you!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    I have done the Kurobta , black and gold brisket, gold was a little rich ( not cost wise) for be, I preferred the black......Pork was good, but not overly impressed .....Dino Ribs for the Win 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smbishop
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I have done the Kurobta , black and gold brisket, gold was a little rich ( not cost wise) for be, I preferred the black......Pork was good, but not overly impressed .....Dino Ribs for the Win 
    Leaning toward the black brisket…
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Another vote for Dino ribs. They are amazing. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Plenty of great recs above. The dry-aged steaks are incredible and much easier to nail than a brisket, just for another suggestion.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • smbishop
    Options
    Another vote for Dino ribs. They are amazing. 
    I will check those out!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Another vote for black brisket.  Or rib eye cap. 

Agree the pork was good, but not overwhelmingly good. 
  • smbishop
    Options
    Plenty of great recs above. The dry-aged steaks are incredible and much easier to nail than a brisket, just for another suggestion.  
    Thanks, John, fairly confident with briskets these days, will check out the dry-aged steaks! 
  • smbishop
    Options
    Another vote for black brisket.  Or rib eye cap. 

Agree the pork was good, but not overwhelmingly good. 
    Yes, the rib eye cap caught my eye as well.  Thanks!  
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    +1 on the pork. Not worth the premium. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I like kurobuta hams.  The smaller ones have been the best, but again quality is not real consistent.

I always forget about Dino Ribs, but they are the best.  I cook those a lot because I don't have to even be good at smoking them and they are amazing.  So much more forgiving than brisket.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • smbishop
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I like kurobuta hams.  The smaller ones have been the best, but again quality is not real consistent.

I always forget about Dino Ribs, but they are the best.  I cook those a lot because I don't have to even be good at smoking them and they are amazing.  So much more forgiving than brisket.
    Dino Ribs, thank you!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Side note:  I need someone in my life that would give me $150 for SRF!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Either the black grade brisket or the dino ribs for the win.  Since you are comfortable with briskets, if you have never had their dino ribs I would lean that way.  
    The three bone ribs can roll in anywhere from around 6.5-9 lbs and become brisket on a stick.  
    If you want to go in a different direction, their denver steak, hangar steak, skirt or flat iron are great cooks.  
    I would stay with the beef side of the house but that's my opinion and we all know what that's worth. 
    BTW- congrats on such a great gift from your class.  You campaigned well.   B)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smbishop
    Options
    The pendulum has moved to dino ribs.  Thank you!!!
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    SRF occasionally has really good sales, so I would wait for the next one and maximize the value of the gift card. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • smbishop
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    SRF occasionally has really good sales, so I would wait for the next one and maximize the value of the gift card. 
    Thank you, I have signed up for their notifications!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The gold grade rib cap is one of the best things I have ever eaten.

NOLA
  • smbishop
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    The gold grade rib cap is one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Thank you!
  • dmbonnichsen
    Options
    gold grade ribeye cap or good grade ny strip. Insanely delicious.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    I’m a huge fan of the skirt steak 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2022
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I’m a huge fan of the skirt steak 
    Me too.  I love skirt and steak.

@dmbonnichsen I can only imagine gold grade ribeye cap.  That had to have been amazing.