Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Recommended Safes/Dealers

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
edited June 2022 in Off Topic
I am looking for a gun safe.  I want one that can be used to store files, valuables, etc.  Does anyone have a particular brand or dealer they like?

Pros/Cons for lock types, accessories, etc.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Wrong forum.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Wrong forum.  
    Looks like you are getting your way, all threads are currently being moved.

Also, nobody but trolls frequent the OT forum.  Since it doesn't auto-load.  Takes a few clicks to get there.  Really hard to get good advice and share in the wealth of knowledge and experience when everything is hidden in a secret corner of this forum.

( @lousubcap is not included in any discussion of trolls.  It would be a toss up between him and @Botch for kindest and most helpful member, except @Botch has a penchant for off-topic posts in threads)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    Options
    Don’t kid John he uses a jewelry box for his valuables 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wrong forum.  
    Looks like you are getting your way, all threads are currently being moved.

Also, nobody but trolls frequent the OT forum.  Since it doesn't auto-load.  Takes a few clicks to get there.  Really hard to get good advice and share in the wealth of knowledge and experience when everything is hidden in a secret corner of this forum.
    Well, the auto-load aspect can be fixed easily enough with a standard web-browser bookmark.  You remember those, right?

As to who frequents it, moving all the current OT threads on the main board over to the OT sub would obviously impact that dynamic.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    We actually do have a fire-proof safe for valuables, like passports, birth certificates, etc. that would be a PITA to recover after a fire.  It's just not a gun safe because I don't own any.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    We actually do have a fire-proof safe for valuables, like passports, birth certificates, etc. that would be a PITA to recover after a fire.  It's just not a gun safe because I don't own any.  
    I use "gun safe" as a general term for larger safes.  It may never see a gun, but I am looking for a large safe that someone couldn't just haul off and open somewhere else.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I use "gun safe" as a general term for larger safes.  It may never see a gun, but I am looking for a large safe that someone couldn't just haul off and open somewhere else.
    Yeah I think you just wanted to start a new OT thread on the main board to try and prove a point.

• Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 367
    Options

Never used it but I’ve been thinking about buying one. Don’t know how big or small you want. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Yeah I think you just wanted to start a new OT thread on the main board to try and prove a point.

Actually, no.  Legitimately have been looking.  Due to some recent life events, I see the value of one.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac, check out Liberty and Browning Legacy Series. My 2 are Brownings. One has firearms and cash. The other is firearm overflow and important documents. The second has shelves and document holders on the door. Both weigh 6-700# empty. They ain’t leaving without me. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    A lot of them look the same, like large appliances do.  I suspect there are far fewer manufacturers than brands.  Worth a google or two.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Actually, no.  Legitimately have been looking.  Due to some recent life events, I see the value of one.
    OK, good luck then.   
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    the cemented into the cellar floor type always looked good to me, firemen are good at saving foundations and cellar cement floors. i wouldnt put guns in one of those though up here, they would rust in no time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac, check out Liberty and Browning Legacy Series. My 2 are Brownings. One has firearms and cash. The other is firearm overflow and important documents. The second has shelves and document holders on the door. Both weigh 6-700# empty. They ain’t leaving without me. 
    What sizes?  I could fill a 48" easy, but seems like two 36" or even 28" would be better.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I prefer a key pad over a dial knob
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Whatever size you get it will be too small 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    AMSEC is one of the few with UL ratings.  Check out the BF and BFII models.

Don't believe the "fire ratings" you read on the websites for safes, most are complete BS.  A lot of the cabinets are the exact same for manufacturers, then they paint them, put the interiors in, and put a door on there.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Only one of those is likely to survive a fire.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I am looking for a gun safe.  I want one that can be used to store files, valuables, etc.  Does anyone have a particular brand or dealer they like?

Pros/Cons for lock types, accessories, etc.

I assumed you would just store that kind of stuff in your hidden panic room.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Only one of those is likely to survive a fire.
    It has a skeleton key if the pad fails. I imagine if it was to survive a fire I would have to cut it open to get in though ymmv
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    While we are on the topic PSA everyone should call their homeowners insurance and make sure you update your replacement cost.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    I keep my docs inside a separate, small fireproof safe inside my big safe. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    How big of a safe? Are you talking about a single handgun or a bunch of rifles, shotguns, and handguns?  If the former, I'm partial to the Fort Knox lock boxes. They hold a single handgun and a small amount of ammunition.

For larger collections, there are a large number of options. You can go with the Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply options (COSTCO, etc. also has a line of safes).  I tend to shy away from these. I consider them to be "entry level" and I don't want to be entered.

Around my area we have a company that specializes in safes and does a big business in gun safes. They have big ones, small ones, thin ones (thin walled steel) and fat ones (thicker steel).  Each has it's own fire rating.

There is also the question about combination, keypad, or both.  Keypad is easy until the battery runs out - though it isn't difficult to change (electronics tend to have a shorter lifespan). Combination takes longer to open. Both seems to be a good compromise.

Some advice you didn't ask about. Always buy a bigger safe than what you need. If you think a 24-gun safe is big enough - buy a 48 gun safe.  You will fill it easily. Either with more guns or with important papers or collectibles.
  • Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    I know the Liberty guys. Have been to several corporate dinners and cocktail hours they hosted. I have no idea about the quality of their safes vs others but those guys throw down like rockstars. I have a Liberty safe based on that alone. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    I've also been looking. Do yourself a favor and look at them in person. I had my head set on a Browning safe with all of the good reviews online and countless videos I've watched on YouTube. I stopped at Tractor Supply store to check it out and I'm glad I did. I was less than impressed. The lock up of the door was awful. It had a bunch of play in it and it just felt cheap. Tractor Supply also had a Liberty gun safe on display. Night and day difference. Made in the USA and fit and finish was much nicer. It was also $4-500 more but you get what you pay for. 

Divide the number of guns it says it holds by half. That will be more realistic. Don't go too small where someone can walk away with it or put it on a dolly. I'd bolt it down wherever you decide to keep it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I will see what safes I can find in person to check out.  The size has me worried.  I don't want a massive 48" wide safe, but I don't want to have to pick and choose what gets to survive.  Plus, I need to find a good location.  I'm not one to just have it out in the open.

What types of accessories or shelving work well?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I will see what safes I can find in person to check out.  The size has me worried.  I don't want a massive 48" wide safe, but I don't want to have to pick and choose what gets to survive.  Plus, I need to find a good location.  I'm not one to just have it out in the open.

48" minimum
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

48" minimum
    That is what I am afraid of.  I guess it is like storage in general, you can never have enough.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    You know swmbo is going to be throwing stuff in there, if you travel its nice to lock everything up.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.